1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Goliath Junior II speaker Rattle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Graphicsmoker, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Graphicsmoker

Graphicsmoker

Jul 28, 2011
    Hey everyone, I just picked up a used Goliath Junior II 2x10 for $200 from a reputable and well known guy here in the phenix area. I did notice that one of the speakers was replaced when I bought it, but when I pulled the speaker out of the cabinet, I saw that it was an OEM replacement speaker.

Here the issue, the cabinet sounds great at nominal volumes, but when I start to really push it, the one new speaker tends to rattle. I can isolate the rattle to coming from the speaker cone itself and no the cabinet, and i checked for loose screws. Nothing really seems to be wrong, but has anyone else run into this problem where it sounds fine at medium volume and rattles at high volumes?

I want to be sure it's not something minor before I go get a replacement speaker.

BTW I run the SWR 2x10 with an old British Ashdown Mag400 head.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Push on the cone and see if you can hear any scraping/scratching sounds.

Check the glue seam holding the dustcap on. Loose dustcaps can make noise like that.

Check that all hardware on the entire cabinet is tight, not just the speakers.