swr workingman's 10 VS. eden cxc 110

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by karlgustav, Aug 30, 2005.

1. karlgustav

Aug 30, 2005
    Hey,I'm looking for a combo that would suit doublebass(with underwood) and 5 string electric bass(with active pickups&EQ)
    for small gigs and rehersal.Light weight and portability are important.I'm choosing between SWR workingman's 10 and Eden cxc110.So,if anyone has expieriences with these models,I'd be more then happy to hear about it.
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I had the WM10, it's got a good sound but not much volume. If you want light and portable, look into one of the Acoustic Image heads paired with a good light weight 10 or 12 inch cab of your choice. If you plan on using an EBG 5, I would get a light weight 12 or a pair of them if you need to get more volume.
  4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I would look at the EA Wizzy Combo (either the 200 or 500 watt model).

Not sure what your budget is for this.
  5. I've never been terribly impressed w/the volume and/or tone of SWR stuff(I've owned a 350 & 750 watt head and 6x10 cab), but I am waiting right now on a CXC-110 replacement(long story- see it on my thread entitled 'Stinkin' UPS'). This a VERY loud little rig. I already have a CX-110 extension cab for it, so I can't wait to take it outside. The coolest thing for me is that it does an extremely good job w/my upright and bass guitars. I've never been so impressed w/an amplifier. I vote Eden. Twice. ;)
  6. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I used an swr workingman's ten for a while--I also had an swr redhead and a workingman's 12. They all shared, to my ears, a horrible plasticy midrange sound. I don't know why, or what, but I could never dial it out. The midrange always reminded me of styrofoam. I was glad to see the last of the SWR gear go out the door. I know a lot of people love it, and I'm not saying they are wrong--but in my hands it sounded harsh and bad. The redhead I had was really well made and well thought out, but I could never get a sound I liked

Eden gear has, again to my ears, and again I may be wrong or just quirky, a smiley eq--a sharply boosted low end, bright highs, and a cut midrange. It sounds better than SWR to me, but they have a lot on common. Most bass amps have kind of a signature sound--ampeg stuff usually has a low midrange peak--it's what I hear as the ampeg sound. Eden's sound is, to my ears, a boosted low end and a boosted top. Works well for a very "modern" electric bass sound, the sound of active pickups and preamps

Try them both, but I'd get the Eden if it were just those two. I also think SWR's build quality has declined in the last year or two
  7. I'm a happy user of an Eden WT330 (same amp as in the CXC110) with a 210XST. I mainly play slab, but my EUB sounds much better through the Eden than through other amps I've tried. A friend who owns the CXC110 finds it plenty loud enough for his jazz gigs, and with it's 2 Ohm capabilty it can put loads of extra grunt into an added 4 Ohm cab for loud gigs.
    I find the Eden sounds more neutral than SWR (or any of the other big names) so that it brings out the true character of your instrument, for better or worse.
    Since I bought the Eden, I've also had to work on my technique because this amp is so honest...
  8. Karlgustav -- I dont' have experience with the Eden, though I hear good things about their products. I do have experience with the SWR Workingmans 10 and I would advise against it. It may actually be fine for the electric bass guitar, but not a good choice for acoustic double bass. It has a harsh, trebly sound that is hard to get rid of (as another post pointed out), and it doesn't give you much volume. I recently got rid of mine. I now use a small Gallien-Krueger combo amp (MB 150) that gives me a much better sound, and more volume, than the Workingmans 10.
  9. karlgustav

Aug 30, 2005
    thank you all for replays.I guess all I have to do now is find a best place to buy the eden cxc110. (in Europe). secondhand(cheaper).If anyone is trying to get rid of one,I'd be more than happy to know about that :)
  10. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    My working mans 10 is a fantastic amp for electric bass.
    Especially if you a different preamp and bypass the one in
    the combo. For upright bass, I don't have one friend who's
    been able to get a worthwhile sound out of it. I think its
    the speaker, tweeter, crossover combination. SWR used
    different 10's with different boxes for tuning and tone
  11. Karlg, I don't know about international shipping, but BassNorthWest gave me a very good deal on my CXC-110. It wouldn't hurt to check them out.
  12. Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    karl I may be the dumbest person on this forum but to me it was worth a little extra weight to get the SWR workingman's 12. I have one of the old ones before they changed something [i don't know what], circa 1992 or so?? As many here have said, there's a little magic in the WM's 12 that is not found in the 10 or the 15 [the latter I find near-useless.... to my surprise].

this is the honest truth, I had a huge-power Eden WT signature series head that i used with several cabs, but I kept going back to my beatup SWR el cheapo WM's 12. I DO play to try a different speaker in it soon, just for grins.

if anyone reading this knows why the old ones sound better, please speak up as I love to learn the technicals
  13. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    I use the wm10 often. I find it a great little amp. My bass is pretty loud but I have no problem getting enough power out of that amp. I have the wm12 too, for bigger gigs, but often leave it at home. If the gig is too loud for the wm10 I don't usually enjoy myself.
  14. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I've used both Eden 210 and SWR Workingmans 12 in the past. To my ears the SWR stuff has never impressed me very much. It's a definte sound they go for but one I don't like at all with upright. Very midrangy-not very natural. The Eden also was very colored in the midrange and I didn't like it for upright either.

I'd go for EA whizzy combo to get good natural sound out of both instruments. The Whizzy is a little more old school so it's a little warmer than the Cxl EA cabs. Don't know how much you're looking to spend but if you're going to get something for both axes, you should try to get the best you can afford.
  15. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    One of the things that used to annoy me about the workingman's ten was the little rubber plugs for the jacks in the back. If the plugs weren't in, I'd get this whistling noise at high volume, as air rushed out of the sealed cab through the jacks. A little thing, but I was alwasys looking out for the little plugs, which tended to fall out during load in/out
  16. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    I use an SWR workingman's 10 for my upright (chezch with a realist and old-school fishman). It's a good amp that serves me well but I can't use it in a room any bigger than a small bar.

I've had to use a pre-amp (also fishman, the bass one) for both the realist and fishman pick-ups to get a real sound.

I dunno how it would work with you're basses, but if you've got a sam ash, guitar center, etc, near you, bring your basses and try one out.

Hope this helps.
  17. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    An easy solution...get some of those foam earplugs, roll one up, put it in the unused jack, let it expand, and the problem is solved. Plus, some of them come in day-glo colors, so its easy to spot one that's fallen out.

But yes, without all the plugs, the cab gets quite noisy. I tried one that was missing most of them and it was frustrating.

BTW, I use the foam earplugs on my other cabs with an open jack, too.
  18. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I know that people use the Working Man's 10 and 12 combos for jazz, but has anyone really put a Baby Baby Blue 10 through the paces? I see some review on the EBG side, but nothing from doublebasses. It seems like something that this community would have at least dabbled in.

I'd love to know.

19. pjleo

May 27, 2003
    del valley
    I had a eden cx110 cab.
    worked okay as an extension cab.
    But did not work out as a stand alone.
    I used it with a seperate eden 330t head.
    It seemed not to be able to take low notes very well.
    This was with 4 string electric and upright
    I had this equipment about 2 years ago.
    good luck