SX 5 string plans

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ScubaSteve, Sep 18, 2006.

1. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

Jul 30, 2006
    Well I couldn't search for the 9735393 page SX thread with the search function gone, so forgive me for starting this. I've been getting the itch for a low B string lately, and I'm looking for an inexpensive 5 string. I was considering this one: http://www.rondomusic.net/spb61413ts.html

Has anyone had experience with that particular bass ? How is the tone of the low B string with the stock pickups ?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I don't know about the 5'ers from SX. I'd imagine they would have a pretty poor b string, but this is just a hunch. Maybe adding slighly more money to the equation and trying one of these instead would be a better choice:

This Brice is 35" scale, which should produce an overall tighter b string: http://www.rondomusic.net/hxb405natq35.html

This is a neck through model, which would also contribute to a nicer b-string: http://www.rondomusic.net/wpb955t.html

3. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    both are nice about I would like to get the latter.

4. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Don't know much about a SX 5'er. I had a 5 string fretless brice and a 6 string fretted. The key word is "had". I wasn't overly impressed with the pick ups. They look nice....

5. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

Jul 30, 2006
    I had also been planning to use some of the overseas EMG active soapbars that are sold on ebay. I can get a set for $50 and I can route the bass out for them and the battery.

Is the neck joint (bolt on vs. set or thru) really that big of a deal when it comes to a decent sounding B string, or is it more of having good pickups and electronics ?

6. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I play a fretless SJB-62, and the low B is fine on mine.

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I think, as do many here, that a good b string comes from many factors. I think first and foremost, a solid b comes from a solidly constructed instrument. I really don't think an SX cookie cutter copy of a p-bass is going to have this quality. On the other hand, the two SX basses I posted seem to have construction differences that may, key word here is "may", produce a better b string.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I had an SX 5-string. The B string was good. I'd say very good considering it was less than $200 to my door. I ended up selling it, but only because I found something else I wanted. :D It had a great fingerstyle tone; I think it was the SJB-62, the LPB jazz-style 5er.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021