1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SX Fretless or Squire Jazz Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scowboy, Apr 12, 2009.

1. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I am considering getting a 'starter' fretless. And the contenders are the Squire Jazz (Jaco style) and the SX.

The Squire is almost 3x the price is it worth it? I have played the Squire numerous times at various music stores and it feels and sounds great. With the SX I cannot do that so lemme know! I sure like the $119 price tag.

2. With the price of the Squier you could have a SX highly modified with pickups, pots, bridge...

3. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    The worst part of the SX basses is probably the fretjobs, which need a leveling out of the box. You won't even have to deal with it... So go for the SX.

4. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Just keep in mind that the SX will NOT have a Jazz profile neck. It's closer to a Precision in width and profile. If you're okay with that, I'm really happy with my fretted SX 5'er.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wont have to deal with frets, but you will have to deal with the uneven fingerboard.

6. +2

(Two because I had two Rondo fretless basses with fretboard "inconsistencies".)

7. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Indeed. I had to level the fingerboard on mine right from the start because Ab on the E string was accompanied by a rather precocious buzz.

I ended up swapping out for a squire VM fretless neck which I must say was very very nice to play.

Eventually I decided that neither was the fretless sound that I was looking for and now I'm playing a defretted Ibanez SR500

If you're looking for that classic fretless J sound, I recommend the Squier. Or pick up a VM fretless neck and frankenstein a bass together with parts off of the classified section.

8. TRob1293

TRob1293

Feb 1, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    What basses are you guys getting?
    I have 3 SX Jazz basses and all have a 1.5" width at the nut.
    Two are gloss finishes that make the thickness a bit more than a Fender Jazz, and one is a satin finish that makes the neck near dead-on with a Fender.

The necks smaller than mine at the nut are Ibanez and the Fender Geddy Lee.

Still - the SX Jazz neck is no where near that of a P-neck - the profile is not even close.

9. Bought the Squier FVM Fretless so that I could get into fretless for cheap. IMO, it's the best fretless bass under $300. I installed 9J1's Bartolini pups and now it just zings (that's zings, not sings) with mwah.

The SX's are made with Ash bodies I believe and the Squier is basswood, plus much cheaper in price. The SX's are inconsistent, while the Squier's a very consistent in quality.

It's up to you though, that's just my experience.

10. TRob1293

TRob1293

Feb 1, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Some SX are ash, most are alder - the ash bodies go for a higher price. The ash to alder ratio is about 1:20.

My SX fretless had a string change and was ready to go (I have since done some neat mods, but out of fun, not neccessity).
    All three of my basses have great necks (zero warpage) and good fretwork (pointless comment for a fretless ;)).

The stock pickups are no worse than Squier's.
    The tuners and bridge are near identical.
    Both basses will need a setup.

If you get a bad bass from Rondo (seller of SX in the USA), they have awesome customer service.

My fretless:
    http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb62qmdrdsfretless.html
    ...and I love it.

I got the fretless from SX because of my budget and after spending hours and hours noodling on the Squier FM (GAS'n like crazy) at a local shop. I went down one day, the bass was sold, and I vowed to get one. I ran across the SX - saw the price - did some research - bought it and never regretted it.

Ask these guys:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524006&page=20

PS - I do not work for SX or Rondo Music... I just know a great deal when it conks me on the nugget!:hyper:

11. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    I bought the sx lined fretless 5 string jazz. I had some problems with a tuner but excellent customer service fixed that up quick smart. I only use it occasionaly but love it. I'd certainly buy one again.
    Mine had no problems with the fretboard, no warpage etc.

12. Roger89

Roger89

Apr 12, 2009

13. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I would go with the Squier. The ebonol fingerboard is cool and unique feature and the Duncan Designed pickups are a nice touch as well. It's just a cool bass all around. Finally, if you can try it and buy it locally, that has to be worth something to you.

14. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    My SX sounds and plays really well... it is all stock except for a CIJ Fender bridge. The only reason I swapped it is because I had it laying around. Even the strings are stock.

Ooooh look, there's my foot! :)

sx1.

I ran the edge of a screwdriver along the fingerboard edges to get rid of the sharpness....

Play them both, if you can, and see which one you fall in love with.