1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX Neck profiles

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jamesemt, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    I bought my second SX Jazz last week, a 62 LPB. Compared to my 57 Jazz, the neck was a lot chunkier.

I ended up putting the 57 neck on the 62 LPB body (and selling the other two parts).

How do the maple replacement necks compare? Measuring the back of the 57 and 62 necks at the nut, there was a good half inch difference...

I've also got a P Photoflame fretless, which I'm not too keen on, so am thinking of swapping out the neck...

2. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    Come on guys, there is a huge SX following here!!:help:

3. SX... as in... the Brand, that make some... Half Decent stuff?

not the biggest fan at all!

but

i'm a picky bastard... i dont like Musicmans cos the Neck is too chunky... but i love there sound

so i'm working on saving enough money to get the parts i need... to make a Jazz with Musicman pups...

but hey!

i crap on alot

replacment necks?

if you like it, go it

4. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    I don't know if 'I like it' as I can't try the neck.

Don't knock the SXs - I had the cash for a Lakland Skyline, but didn't like it, so I've built an SX copy but with a nicer (to me) neck! AND I reckon it's only cost me $600 (which is about the third of the price of a 2nd hand one here).

5. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    With Fender, P's have bigger necks than J's, and a '57 P has a flatter but wider neck than '62. So it makes sense that copies follow that. Although there is no such thing as a Fender '57 J.

6. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    Yeah I know that - I had to swap my Fender P neck for a Jazz as I got hand cramps.

Obviously there is no 57 Jazz - the model number refers to it being maple (and slightly slimmer, evidently).

7. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    I have had a SX p bass a parts jazz with a mitey mite jazz neck & changed the parts jazz to a sx 70,s neck (jazz like the block inlay ) the SX neck jazz & mitey mite are same size & much smaller than the p neck.
    I have sold p bass .
    If I ever build a p bass I will use a sx jazz neck
    Much smaller than the p 38mm vs 42mm @ the nut
    does this answer your question & the sx neck is great value

8. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Um, you are aware that MusicMan makes the Sterling model whose neck is even slimmer than a Jazz, right? And, speaking from experience, putting together your own model will NOT give you the MusicMan sound. Trust me. Check my sig.

9. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Howdy.....

My take on this question?

I have never measured the neck thickness on any of the SX necks I have handled/own(ed).

However, on the black bound and blocked neck the thickness of the area just below the headstock is noticeably thinner from the top of the fretboard to bottom of neck radius than my Rosewood boarded Nuclear Orange tinted Jazz neck.

That neck feels a wee bit chunkier, though still very easy to play.

My white bound and blocked maple boarded neck feels like it is also a lot thinner than the Rosewood boarded neck mentioned above, but not as thin as the black blocked neck.

The rosewood boarded, white bound and blocked neck I have sitting here awaiting a bass to mount it on also feels as thin as the black blocked neck.

The difference though with all the blocked necks is very, very close. I'd be willing to bet that the block inlaid necks are all the same thin profile, and the rosewood, hella orange tint necks are another.

That being said, the rosewood neck with the orange tint feels just fine though, and as it is on a P body...I like it alot. And the Orange tint is not as orange or dingy looking than some of the vintage Fender necks I have seen....the tinted look kind of grows on you after a while.

One day I just may measure these things to have a definitive answer.....

10. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

I pulled the chunky neck off my SX p-bass and put on a Mighty Mite jazz neck. Surprisingly easy, and sooooooo much more comfortable. Great decision! :hyper: