1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Symptoms of a Dead String?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rick N. Hofner, Sep 27, 2010.

1. I am a newbie bass player, and not certain if I have encountered my first dead bass string. I play a P-bass. When I fret a G on the E string it is noticeably lower in volume than any other note I fret on the E string. Is this a dead string or some other force at work? :help:

Thanks for the info.

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Has your bass had a setup? Is it a new set of strings that is suffering from this issue, or has your bass encountered this before?

Generally, a dead string refers to one that is "dull" and lifeless (IE, missing a lot of the high-end zing that news strings are known for).

What you're describing sounds like a dead fret. First of all, when you play that fret unplugged, is there a lot of buzzing?

3. I had the bass about 2 years now. It has the original strings on it. It has never done this before. It has not been set up recently because I like the way it plays - I don't want to touch it unless I really have to. There is no buzzing when I play that fret.

4. gitlvr

gitlvr

Nov 13, 2009
    No. Va., USA
    P Basses, from what I read, are prone to dead spots. However, I play a P Bass(Squier), and can't find any on mine, lol. This could be because I'm a beginner and just haven't noticed it, but I doubt it. I've played guitar for 20+ years, and also play the piano. I think I'd notice that sort of thing. But you never know.
    It could be a dead spot or fret. However, if your strings are a couple of years old, I'd say it's probably time for some new ones. I'd try that and see if it made a difference. MHO.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021