T-Bird/Skynyrd fans-check this out

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rugaar, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Own a piece of history. Any guesses on how high this is going to end up?

Freebird!

2. I find the attachment on the top horn area of the bass interesting...

3. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    anytime "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]escrow can be arranged[/FONT]"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] is part of the ad, [/FONT]somebody thinks its worth a whole lot...[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].;). my collection already has a couple rare items from bass history that keep me happy, so this one will go to another "fan".

and ya, this is now on my watchlist, so I can also see what it will bring in.
    [/FONT]

4. jakeox

jakeox

Feb 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Considering it was already listed with the same opening bid and closed without getting any bids ... I'm guessing it won't go that high this time. If it is what they say it is that's very cool though.

5. hazzardzboy

hazzardzboy

Jan 2, 2009
    that is a pretty peice of equipment, i love that t-bird body, and iam a die hard skynard fan. I also agree with Jake, It wont go that high.

6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Originally it *was* a rare instrument, the attachment to the upper 'bout was done to accomidate his post-crash arm injury. A nice piece for a collector.

7. Hi.

Beautiful, just beautiful.

That would be one heck of a piece of southern rock heritage there.

Hope someone will buy it, I can't, and I kinda hope that it stays in US anyway.

Regards
    Sam

8. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    This was posted over there at the Fender Forum as well...And as over there I call BS... Free Bird was First recorded in 1973 and was on the first record Pronounced. Leon Wilkeson left Lynyrd Skynyrd for a short time, so Ed King the third guitarist recorded all the bass lines for the album except Mississippi Kid and Tuesday's Gone.

I'm not saying it couldn't be Leon's bass, but I have a hard time believing it was his bass.. most of the time Leon used a non revers T-Bird. I think he also had a Fender Bird..

And if it is Real I wouldn't dought that it's stolen.

9. heavychevy

heavychevy

Feb 11, 2008
    Central MA
    I'm with you on this one! Ed King recorded with a '64 Jazz on Freebird...the only time Leon recorded Freebird was in '76 and he used a '62 jazz. Now, Steve Gaines never played a bird...he played a Fender and a LP and secondly he wasn't around LS until '75 so I call B.S on the "history" of this bass. He may have used it while playing for RCB though

10. mike1762

mike1762

Oct 26, 2008
    Careful guys... as already mentioned, Ed King played bass on the "Pronounced" LP. Also, Steve Gains was not a member of the band until 1976: I doubt he and Wilkeson would have had "matching" instruments since they didn't even know each other at the time the instruments were made/sold. Pedigreed instruments RARELY sell for much more than they are otherwise worth. You can buy Tiran Porter's (Doobie Brothers) Alembic Series I for about $3,500 right now (that's what I paid for mine).

11. heavychevy

heavychevy

Feb 11, 2008
    Central MA
    I see there's been a few good questions asked about this bass on his ebay ad. I wouldn't doubt that Leon did play this bass for Rossington Collins Band...but when I saw them he wasn't. I don't think they'd mark his road case like they did..."Leons blue bass"...as far as him playing it while recording Freebird, I call total B.S. I hope you guys are carefull when bidding on this bass!

12. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Now that you said something about it. I just noticed if you look at those two pics in the second row they are of the RCB and not LS...

13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    That's one But Tugly T Bird.

14. That's BUTT ugly, LOL, butt I agree. I hate that paint job.

I cant say whether or not that it is Leon's bass or not but the information included is obviouly a fabrication. I was immediately skeptical and ebay viewers had already posted my thoughts to the seller. This misinformation is not helping him to sell it.

15. Sonic65

Sonic65

Jul 19, 2008
    Jacksonville,Fl
    Hello all (y'all ? ) from the land Skynyrd. Did some checking on this yesterday with some folks and these are two different basses. The one pictured in the studio photo suffered an irrepairable neck twist/bow and truss rod damage, was stripped of all it's hardware and ended up as a wall hanger in a local music store. It's current location is unknown but I suspect it's still in the hands of the former owner of the music store that Leon gave it to. Btw, the sticker says: Skynyrd Smokes- from the back of the first record.

16. thats definatly something,it looks pretty nice even though i dont even like skynyrd,but thats just me

17. Hi.

Seven hours to go, $4,551 and reserve still not met.

I guess the bass is still appealing even though the listing is somewhat incorrect.

Regards
    Sam

18. heavychevy

heavychevy

Feb 11, 2008
    Central MA
    the auction ended with a bid of $6,250 and the reserve was not met

19. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    He should have taken the money and ran.

20. heavychevy

heavychevy

Feb 11, 2008
    Central MA
    yup, I like the questions at the bottom..he started off being 100% sure about the history, then after a bunch of people gave him a quick history lesson he started saying well...the owner thinks he remembers Leon saying....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021