1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

T-REX OCTAVIUS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PhatRon, Mar 23, 2013.

1. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    Hello TBers,
    looking for input on octividers.
    Is the T-rex Octavius a good choice for bass?
    thanks.

2. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Octividers? Sorry do you mean Octavers, or is that short for Octave Dividers?

Anyway, I can't comment first hand but I have seen a few around these parts in the past so they can't be rubbish.

As far as other choices go the traditional Boss OC-2 is very popular if you're looking for an analog sound - the MXR BOD and Aguilar Octamizer are great choices too. I had the Octamizer for period and it was indeed brilliant, but funnily enough I actually prefer digital octavers, so have stuck to my OC-3 ever since, if it ain't broke and all that...

3. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I tried a bunch of Ocatavers about a year ago and the MXR won. For my bass, it tracked the best. I'd recommend taking your bass into a store that carries a few Octavers and try them out.

4. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I'm not sure about the t-Rex, never used it. But, I have a micro pog by ehx and it's awesome. It's a polyphonic octaver and it sounds quite different then your typical octave pedal. It sounds like an organ or harpsichord at times, which I dig. Also, I think the boss is awight. I had the OC3 but returned cause I didn't feel it tracked very well. It's still a good pedal if that's what you're looking for. Also, if I had to buy another octave pedal, which I probably will do in the future and pick this one up, the octobass by EBS is really sweet IMHO. Tracks awesomely and sounds great.

5. I like my Octavius well. Use both the lower and the higher octave from time to time. It tracks very well.
    I think it comes down to what type of sound you're after. Could you describe it or post a reference.

/Karl

6. PhatRon

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    Actually I wouldn't use it for anything drastic or bizarre sounding, mostly to add a low C or D to softer tunes or endings on ballads. Obviously I'm a 4 stringer, the Octavius caught my attention because of the upper octave also. I think that's something I might use occasionally.

7. PhatRon

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    I also have a corona chorus,which btw is very nice, and I'd like to experiment with that and the Octaver together .

8. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    The Octavius is a very nice polyphonic octave in the style of the Micro Pog. I think it just edges the Micro Pog for sound quality whilst also offering a separate, and very use able, clean boost. I'm surprised we don't hear more talk about it on here.

9. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    I found the Octavius to have too much latency of the "octaved" note beginning to play. I use an octave for a song which has a steady moving eighth note line and when I tried to use it for that song, the latency killed me.

10. PhatRon

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    I'm glad you posted Small... I was thinking the same thing listening to a you tube demo I found. So far from the few demos I've heard the MXR sounded really good but I like the upper octave capability of the octron. I think I'll start searching for a deal or at least one to try out. It would seem the MXR would be a lot easier to find though. One thing is for sure, my choice will be analog over digital. Just simply fits my sound better.
    thanks for the input fellows.

11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    My faves are OC-2 and EBS OctaBass for standard pedals and I also like the Line 6 M5's Bass Octave effect. You get the benefits of digital tracking with analog sound.

I tried the Octavius and wasn't overly impressed, but it's been awhile so I'm not entirely sure why now. Performance was "Eh", and it requires a 12V power supply so I ended up passing on it.

12. [DEL]False. T-Rex Octavius is a 9V pedal.[/DEL]

[EDIT]
    My bad! The manual actually states it to be used with 12V power supply. However, it also says anything between 8,5-12,5V is possible. I have ran mine on 9V, which works fine. I'm quite interested to try it on 12V though, and see if it affects how the pedal reacts.

Sincerest apologies for incorrect info! :scowl:
    [/EDIT]

13. If you're looking for the analog sound I agree that the Octavius isn't for you.