1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tabs. Don't Get 'em.

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If this has been done, I apologize. This is not a tab slam, but a "maybe it's me" thing. I've looked at tabs, and personally, I've found it to be much easier and quicker to stick a cd in and learn the song that way. Been that way since day one. I don't think that tabs are neccessarily a bad thing, I think it has more to do with me. I just don't get 'em.

2. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    It also pays off in the long run...

If you rely on tabs and a local band asks you to try out for them, asking for the tabs is sort of a shoot yourself in the foot thing before you even audition. Especially if the band has a decent following and hype in the music industry.

If they have songs and you learn them by ear then that would be brownie points before you walk in to audition.

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Yeah I always tell my friends who are starting out on guitar or bass, forget tabs learn by ear. It may be hard when you first start, but in the long run you'll get no where with tabs. These people are also amazed when a song is playing and I sit down and play along. With sheet music you can play a song you've never heard before, with tabs you can't as there is no real way of showing rhythms. Chord charts are also great. Tabs are a waste of time.

4. Beware that there are a lot of bad TABs posted all over the Internet. Heck, there are bad published music notations, too. I sometimes wonder about the people doing these transcriptions.

a) Are they tone deaf?
    b) Have they listened to song more than once?
    c) Have they verified that the written music matches the piece?
    d) Do they care if it's right or wrong?

Paul Mac

5. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

+ ad infinitum

My band rarely does covers, but when we do, my guitarist relies on tabs too much. I've had to transcribe some difficult solos because the tabs just weren't right, and my guitarist doesn't have an ear good enough to transcribe himself.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Funny story relating to this. During rehearsals for Steely Dan's last tour, they made tapes for the band, because the published song books were wrong.

7. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Tabs are a tool and should be used as such. If you're not confident in your ability to use such a tool, dont use it. Tabs are very convenient for alot of things, and are often a much quicker way to learn songs for beginners who dont have developped hearing. If you started out by learning by ear, it is no surprise you dislike tabs today. However, saying people shouldn't use tabs because they're often wrong (if you can tell they're wrong, they're not useless, they taught you something obviously) or because its faster to learn by ear (that is a pretty bold statement, which works for people who've been playing for quite some time, but which is a total disregard of beginner players) when its obviously not.

8. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    And I might add that if tabs were so useless there wouldn't be a tab section for you to post in in the first place...

9. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Yes nothing on the internet is useless.

It would be a lot better for someone starting to try to learn easy songs with there ear, then slightly more complex ones, or evene easy ones from tabs. If they just learn from tabs their ear will take a whole lot longer to develop. I saw a post where people were asking for tabs for black sabbath songs. Those are perfect to start learning by ear. They have a familiar chord progression generally. Same thing with the request for a tab for Funky Broadway. You'll see people who can play all kind of licks, but can't learn a song or jam with others whatsoever. Besides if you're going to read something read sheet music, but that's a whole other thread on it's own.

10. it helps to read the tab forum rules before posting in this section.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105377

11. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    +1

And a point about tabs that is undisputable is that were it not for them there would be a lot less kids learning to play guitar and bass. I think they're fine for a beginner, but should be dropped eventually.

12. Tabs help bassists figure out WHERE to play the notes on the neck.

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    I agree, and it would also help if you fully read my post as well. I'm not knocking tabs. The respondants are, to an extent.

14. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    You're not knocking tabs, but discussions of their merits are still prohibited. That's basically what this thread is.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Uh no, I was saying that I didn't get them, and maybe there's something wrong or different with me. Since day one of my playing, I've found it easier to listen and play. I understand that everyone is different. Some people swear by tabs, some don't. I can't speak for them, only me. Read the post and take it for what it is. If I'm questioning anything, it's me. Maybe I should've posted in Hebrew since English didn't go over too well.

16. you're not fooling anyone, btw this is not a woodchuck slam, it's just me

17. You ever look at the tabs for tommy the cat by primus out there? People are convinced they have it 100% right and i dont look anything fuppin like it! Stick to ear or watchin the music video!!

18. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    That only depends on what your needs as a bassist are. Some people simply want to play bass for fun, to relax, and dont want to get into intensive music sheet reading, they'd rather quickly learn a song from a tab and have fun with that.

I agree with your opinion, I myself have just started taking lessons after 8 months, I'm learning about music theory, reading sheets, learning where all the notes are by heart, etc, but I would have seriously never gotten to this point without having fun learning tabs and rocking over songs in 5 minutes time. Sure it may not be perfect, but it was enough then, and it may be the case for alot of people. Tabs are one of the tools that helped motivate me to go further into music, sure learning by ear is better, IF you want to go fast and learn quickly, but if you have no care for speed and want to just enjoy playing something simple without it taking half an hour to learn, you use tabs and it works great :)

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Yep, should've gone with a different language. I see English is your 3rd language. :rollno: I would never try to fool a fool!

20. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Think about the number of useless posts that this forum gets everyday, most of which are along the lines of 'tabs suck'. While I see it was never your intent to start a tab bashing thread, this thread could take no other course. People just love the opportunity to reprimand tab users.