1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Takamine EG512C - Chromes or Tapewounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MakoMan, Mar 7, 2013.

1. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    I picked up a Takamine EG512C that I absolutely love, but the stock strings which are still on it are horrifying. I just cannot stand the rattle. It says a lot about the bass that I really like it despite the strings that are on it. I can just tell that with the right strings this baby is going to really sound fantastic.
    Used the search function here and have pretty much decided on either Chromes or D'Addario tapewounds. But which one? I'd like to throw a set on this weekend.
    My needs are simple... My goal is as much volume as possible with minimal string noise and a thumpy tone similar to what I get with Chromes on my electric basses.
    Would appreciate any and all opinions. Other string suggestions are also welcome.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Tapewounds all the way. D'Addario tapewounds are ok if they're the only option, but Labella tapes are fantastic. They make black tapes which are great, and "white" tapes which are actually clear, but are probably brighter than you want. I'd go for the black labella tapewounds, if I were you.

3. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Thanks! I will check the black labellas out!

4. I'm having this same debate with my Ibanez AEB5E. I'm thinking the Chromes because they are higher tension, allowing one to dig in a little more. I'm also looking at D'Addario Half Rounds, because I've heard good things about them on acoustic. So it's a toss up between Chromes, Tapes and Half Rounds. Wish me luck..

5. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    I love the eg512. Tell you what though I put Chromes on it & it was a dramatic change for worse. It did exactly the opposite of what you want--flats w/ volume. On the contrary it caused dead notes. HOWEVER I had already lowered the heights of my bridge & nut before switching to Chromes, so if you haven't done so, maybe you'll have better results with Crhomes at the factory height.
    In the end, I broke the truss rod while adjusting it to accommodate the Chromes so the way I see it D'ad owes me a bass!
    Great great great preamp in those Taks. Good luck.

6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    One more thing. Pics or no EG512c.

7. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    You know, I was only going to take pics of the Takamine and post them in a NBD thread in the basses forum once I got the new strings on it, cleaned it up and was able to really test out the bass. But seeing as how it is Chuck Norris asking....

Attached Files:

8. Broke the truss rod? What happened? ABG owners like myself are listening with open ears!

9. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    The tension of Chromes was far less than whatever rounds I had on it. Once I applied the Chromes, the action was a foot high off the frets. So I'm turning & turning the rod, then SNAP. The head-cylinder of the truss rod--not the rod itself--came undone at the weld & broke clean-off. Irreplaceable. Or I'm incapable of replacing a trussrod. I sold the bass for its preamp on feebay & it fetched a buyer in less than a week.

10. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    OK... I think after hearing that story I will stay away from the Chromes and go with the tapewounds :D

11. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    Volume seems to be a common issue. I ended up with tapewounds. Tension was about the same as the rounds on it so little change there. After a little breaking in a get a nice thumpy, woody sound. Where the really shine is when amplified. The tapes sound great I can get several good tones that are very full and woody sounding. I get compliments every time I play it.

12. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    OK, I am down to between these two strings:

D'Addario ETB92 Nylon Tapewound Bass Guitar Strings, Medium, 50-105
    Fender 9120M Nylon Tapewound Bass Guitar Strings 58-110

I'm leaning to the D'Addarios but I am curious as to if anyone has tried the Fenders.

13. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    OK, figured I should update this thread. I could not find tapewounds in stock anywhere in my area so I ordered a set. Went in today and found out they were on back order from the Canadian D'Addario distributor.
    So I went with the Chromes in light gauge, which were in stock. They installed easily and despite the higher tension there were no truss rod adjustments required. This surprised me because whenever I have installed Chromes on an electric I've had to tweak the truss rod.
    They sound fantastic, with virtually no rattle or string noise and seem to be getting better by the minute. If anything, they provide more volume than the stock strings acoustically, particularly because you can attack the strings much harder without the rattle overwhelming the sound of the notes. Also much more of a woody, upright tone than the stock strings. Pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.
    When in doubt, throw on some Chromes is my new motto! :hyper:

MacBass57 likes this.