Take Me Out: A Zeppelin ripoff? I think yes.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cerb, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    So, I just finished listening to Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand. You know, the one with the really catchy gui*ar riff and the annoying vocals. That riff sounds awfully damned close to the one in Trampled Underfoot by Led Zeppelin. Has anyone else noticed this? A mistake, maybe? I think not :scowl:.

- Cerb
  2. yeah, someone pointed this out on the NotBBC forum.

I think the chorus sounds a lot like that in Simple Minds' "changeling" too....

also there's quite a few mentions of FF ripping off Josef K (a new wave contemporary of Simple Minds, only that didn't get any commercial success)
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Of course if you're going to talk about rip-offs, Zepplin was doing it from blues guys a long time before F.F. were around. There's nothing wrong with it-imitaion is the sincerest form of flattery, as they say, and everyone does it to some extent.
  4. FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Guys, eventually similar sounding riffs can come down to pure coincidence.

I dont think Franz Ferdinand need to rip off anyone. Listen to their album, its diverse and fresh, good stuff.
  5. Similar, maybe...

Plagiarism. Not even close.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont think its that similiar.
  7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    If you want to go after riff-stealers; go after Green Day.

'Warning' rips off the Kink's 'Picture book', 80% of the American Idiot album rips off Dillinger Four and F.Y.P.

I think Franz Ferdinand's song sounds too disco-ey to really be considered a rip-off of Led Zeppelin.

Besides, Led Zeppelin did their fair share of ripping off, it's like closure.
  8. JohnnyA

Aug 21, 2004
    I don't think they're that similar. And I agree that Zeppelin "ripped-off" quite a few other artists is their time. I'm not really bothered by it. Good music is good music. Yes, I'm referring to Franz too. IMO They're great.