Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talk Box For Bass? - Talkbox Megathread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BABY J, Jul 15, 2004.

1. BABY J

BABY J

Jul 9, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    :eyebrow: Are there any out there... rephrase... any out there that SOUND good? HA HA

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's hard to get them to sound really good because it's just a horn down in that little box. They get very buzzy, and no real discernable bass. It's fun for a while, but it grows thin after a while.

You might look for a Digitech Talker instead. Those are fun.

3. BABY J

BABY J

Jul 9, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    so the digitech talker huh? i'll look into it... you have one?

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have had or played just about every pedal ever made. I don't own one currently, but that may change soon... It's a fun pedal.

5. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys, do you know if we could use a talk box with a bass?
    also, how do you wire up those things I've heard that you need to amps...

Thanks for the input,
    ~JB~

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If you are looking to try a talkbox and not spend a bunch of money, you could try the danelectro heil talkbox. But I don't think you will be very pleased with it as far as low end goes. It has none. You may be better off with an envelope filter or an electroharmonix bassballs or something of the sort.

7. Well the old tube in the mouth talk boxes never really handled bass well. They are basically a tweater driver funneled into the tube, so not really a possibility of much lows anyway.
    And when you do push low end to it, it really tickles the mouth.
    They ran between the head/amp and the speaker, muting your cabs and sending all the sound down the tube.
    I had good sucess with the now discontinued Digitech Talker. Intead of a tube you actually connect a mic and speak/sing/grunt/ scream into the mic and it alters the tone. I found it difficult to incorporate into my rig for regular use, but for recording it was great.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

8. Yah, the 'second amp' you speak of is generally found inside the talkbox unit itself - your amp cuts out and a speaker inside the talkbox sends the signal up a tube. You then direct the sound from there into a mic.

The main cons for this is you really need a good on the ball soundman as your amp cuts out and he has to make up the difference in bass from your vocal mic - not that easy to do. You also need a whole whack of cable to run to from the amp to the talkbox, although I guess that isn't too much of a problem if you're already running a pedalboard.

Although I haven't tried the Danolectro, I've heard nothing but horror stories about it.

9. I have an old Dean Markley Talk Box 100 that I use occasionally, when I do I use a GK MLS guitar amp to power it and still run my normal bass rig and run the mic thru the PA.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Talkbox is always something I've wanted to do with bass. Wonder why nobody makes a bass talker?

11. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I dunno... I recently heard TB's own Ben Strange play his bass thru his Digitech Talker (sans mouthpiece, tho' I believe the Talker can accept one), and it sounded pretty rad. Not bass-specific, but it certainly sounded good!

12. Yes I wish bass players would stop thinking they can "only" play through bass FX. There's a wide wonderful world of g*$&(ar FX that work great with bass. The Digitech talker is one of them.
    Dirk

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I'd suggest trying a MIDI breath controller, and using that to modulate a filter bank, with your bass feeding the filter box, if you can find a Digitalker. I've been meaning to wire one up for my Symetrix 606, I bet it'd be killer.

14. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    If you can find one.....the Electro-Harmonix Golden Throat is wicked-bad for bass......

15. So is that wicked BAD or wicked GOOD? You kids with your slang and your pants hanging low and your new-fangled contraptions.

16. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    FYI, Dunlop makes the Heil HT-1 Talkbox, not Danelectro.

17. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida

"Now that you've got a girlfriend, you've gone soft."

"Nuh-uh...I'm still wicked-bad."

"Oh yeah...prove it @$$-butt!"

Nelson Muntz and Jimbo Jones.....

Wicked bad means good :eyebrow:

18. [muntz]

Ha-ha

[/muntz]

19. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys anyone know of a talkbox like effect, that gets the same tone as a talkbox but uses a mic instead of a tube. The effect wouldhave to be durable and keep the low end.

I know of the Digitech Talker which I am considering on buying but I'm wondering if you have it only hooked up to one amp, and not the whole pa system thing, and turn the effect off does the mic and bass work normally ? or does only the bass work???

All this effect wiring and such really confuses me :crying: lol

~JB~

20. Hey,
    the talker doesn't need an amp to power it like the tube models.
    It uses a mic, and you can send it to your setup and or the PA, it can work as a direct box too.
    And yeah you can switch it off but it never seemed like true bypass. I had a tough time integrating it into my rig for live use.
    The levels were tough to get as powerful as the direct non affected signal. But I suppose using a switcher of some sort might have been a solution to that.
    Good luck and try one, they are fun and good for a chuckle. But I eventually sold mine, it's too easy to use alot IMHO. YMMV. :)
    Dirk