1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Talk to me about headphones

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by jefff100, Feb 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jefff100

jefff100

Jan 23, 2010
    Central NJ
    OK. Headphones- I generally wear them for practice- often when traveling for work & I’m practicing in the hotel room.

Would like something that sounds decent for music and the bass sounds good though it too. I have a pair of Sennheiser Noise Cancellation headphones, they are great for long flights but the bass sounds like gargage through them. At first I thought it was the little VOX preamp, but the last trip I was driving so I brought my MB200 and used that as a practice tool. Still sounded bad.

Want decent sound and durable. I’ll probably use them for treadmill time as well

Should I look at monitor cans or the IEM type headphones?

2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Loving my ATH M50X. I asked for recommendations on cans on TB a few months back and a bunch of people suggested these. Very happy with them for the price. Not quite as comfy as 'open' headphones, but I do a lot of work in coffee shops and its kinda crucial. But for practicing at night, theyre superb.

eriky4003 and jefff100 like this.
  3. jefff100

jefff100

Jan 23, 2010
    Central NJ
    Thanks I’ll check these out. I see they are well within my price range. I was looking at the Phil Jones Bass cans but then I read that they arent buit that well.

What makes open style more comfortable?

J.Wolf likes this.
  4. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello Jeff. First you can read up on types of headphones. Second you should consider that like MI cabinets, even the good ones need a good amp to deliver their potential; so a good headphone amplifier should be on your list. Lastly you can add my concrete suggestions to any you get from others:

Currently I have no application for any type of headphones except open. Some time ago, I gave up on Sennheiser because they are designed to break and cannot be repaired.

For critical listening, and for raw, alive-sounding audio, I have a pair of Grado SR 225e. They are supra-aural and not the most comfortable. But I can wear them for up to a few hours at a time. I just replaced the ear pads on my set after more than three years. Probably I should have done that after a year or two. The SR 225e may be at or near the bottom of the Grado line, but man can they present the sound of a bass guitar and preamp with authority and detail. Visceral and real-sounding. Also efficient and very responsive. My first and lasting impression of these phones is of them sounding akin to grand, old home stereo speakers, like my remanufactured large Advents.

Just before I replaced the Grado ear pads, I got a pair of AKG K 240 Mk II. They are circumaural and are very comfortable. I got this pair because recently I assembled a modular synthesizer. Despairing of the then old Grado ear pads, I decided to refurbish the Grado pair and keep it as my main phones for bass guitar and critical listening, while having the AKG phones for long synthesis sound design sessions. I find the AKG K 240 Mk II to sound polite, detached, and accurate. Lifeless by comparison to the Grado phones, they are notoriously inefficient and commensurately not very responsive. But I think this is why so many people like them: they have no personality and simply sound good. And they do basically sound good. Also I can wear them for any length of time without discomfort or (so far) ear fatigue.

bholder, phishaholik and jefff100 like this.
  5. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Sony MDR
    Very strong, sound great, and used at many Pro studios

eriky4003 likes this.
  6. jefff100

jefff100

Jan 23, 2010
    Central NJ
    Thanks to all for your feedback.
    I had originally ordered a set of the Phil Jones headphones, but then second guessed myself after reading some negative reviews about the construction quality. When M.F. contacted me about a second delay in shipping I told them to cancel the order and have a set of the ATH M50x on the way instead. Since I did loose one pair of headphones about a year ago from leaving them in the hotel room (packing up in a hurry, darkened room, black headphones got overlooked on the table), I sprung the extra 20 bucks for the anodized red with gold trim. Hopefully they'll stand out ? Besides they look sharp.

rockinrayduke and J.Wolf like this.
  7. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Based on another TBer’s recommendation, I picked up a pair of AKG K240 Studio headphones- they’re pretty great so far!

8. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017

Great choice. I like that they're open back so I can hear whats going on at the same time. Great for recording solo, and mixing in a quiet environment. And they can handle a good amount of power and sound decent.

cataract likes this.
  9. soitainly

soitainly

Aug 21, 2012
    You really can't go wrong with the AKG K-240. It's just a really well balanced sound. So many of the newer model headphones (like Beats) emphasize the bass, but those don't really sound natural to me. The K-240s are more of a reference monitor sound, and are very affordable.

bholder likes this.
  10. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Audio Technica ATH-20X

Affordable, light, comfortable, good bass response, long cable.

11. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    Sennheiser HD205, affordable, great sound. Comfortabele to wear, long cord.

12. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    I think the Sony 7506/V6 are just fine for everything. Maybe not mixing or mastering or if you're an audiophile.. plus, they fold up for easy travel. If you want more bass or want to mix a track through headphones, the more expensive Sony 7520 is amazing. I splurged, and for practicing bass along with tracks it's really great. I will say, though, that for listening to music.. maybe it isn't the best. Sometimes I will listen to an album on it and start to pick apart what I don't like about the mix.

I have heard that open back headphones are better for getting bass for similar reasons that your bass sounds better at an outdoor gig. The group buy club Massdrop contracts with Sennheiser for their own version of the 650 series of headphones, at a discount (and a several month wait).

Jim C likes this.
  13. KokaKola

KokaKola

Jan 21, 2015
    Kalamazoo MI
    I've got a pair of the Samson SR850s that I loooove. Very inexpensive semi-open back. Similar to the AKG set recommended above. My band mates have the ATH-50x pair and they are also fantastic.

14. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I have the Grado 125s and I love them for music and bass for a good price. They sound great and the open back design makes it possible to hear people around you and even the television if you want. I live in apartment and I'm a single dad of a 6 year old, so being able to hear what's going on as well as not disturbing anyone is a priority to me. When I use my headphone setup while I watch tv it sounds very close to just having my amp on next to me.

I would stay away from some of the popular studio headphones personally. In my limited experience they are designed for durability and being able to hear oneself more than giving you an enjoyably sweet tone.

Michael

15. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity

Apr 11, 2014
    Stillwater, New Jersey
    Mine are going strong after 5 years. Not bad for under $100

cataract likes this.
  16. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Nice! Yeah I’m still digging mine a LOT!
    DD15D4ED-7E8F-42E0-828D-EEC1EF543E5F.