1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talkbass demographic check....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SamJ, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Working Musician - make my living in music

33 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. Working Musician - supplement my living significantly from music

50 vote(s)
    6.4%
  3. Working Musician - supplement my living a little from music

198 vote(s)
    25.4%
  4. Aspiring to be a Working Musician

58 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Hobbyist / Amateur with years of experience

270 vote(s)
    34.7%
  6. Hobbyist / Amateur with moderate experience

135 vote(s)
    17.4%
  7. Completely new to music

7 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. Other - state so in the thread.

27 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    I've been on here a few years and there is definitely a diverse group of people on here ranging from well known pro's to complete new guys in their first weeks of playing.

You see some threads asking about "Band mates" and other threads about "studio recording" and such, but I'm sure not all of us are pro's.

I'm curious what a cross section of our group looks like

Even if you once made a living as a musician, but no longer do for reasons such as retirement, or band no longer together, etc.. that would make you a Working Musician who either made his main living or supplemented it with Music.

Hobbyists who have bands, studio recordings, but don't make any real income are just that... hobbyists.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    You don't have to be a "pro" to have bandmates or done studio recording or have done dozens/hundreds of gigs. At least, I've done all those things and I don't consider myself a "working musician", though at various points I guess you could say I did "supplement my living a little with music".

Eminor3rd, G On Bass, SteveCS and 7 others like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I would guess that most folks here aren't "pros" in the sense that bass is one's only profession, but maybe I'm wrong. I kind of assume the majority is the "don't quit your day job" type.

Quilbert and blindrabbit like this.
  4. Used to play full time, with day music teaching gigs to keep me off the streets.

5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Haven't 'played out' in a while. Super-steady (unpaid) gig every Sunday! :D

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I generally gig 2-3 times a month as that is all I have time for and feel like doing.

I guess that could be considered "working musician", but if I had to rely only on the money i was paid from gigs, I would be living on the street for sure!

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I went with hobbyist. The few hundred a month I earn doesn't support my living, it doesn't even cover my GAS. ;)

blindrabbit likes this.
  8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Strictly a bedroom/hobbyist bassist these days. I played in a lot of college bands and hack bar bands after college, lost interest for a long time, and gradually got back into it purely for my own pleasure a few years ago. These days I spend more time trying to build basses than playing them, scratches two itches so to speak, luthiery and bass playing.

9. You're not an IRS agent, right? ;)

10. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Aug 19, 2013
    Toms River NJ
    Significantly supplement my income I suppose. Earned about $16k extra last year in gigging. I also work full time for the power company here...so that extra dough is strictly from weekends and heavy summer booking with the cover band here on the Jersey shore.

HolmeBass likes this.
  11. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    I've had a love of music for 40+ years but have never had to depend on it for income. I've been blessed with a lucrative but demanding career so haven't been able to play out as often as I like. My hat is off to working musicians who make their living with music because that requires commitment and dedication to the next level to be successful.

12. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    My music is definitely a drain on my income.;)

13. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Aug 19, 2013
    Toms River NJ
    "I've had a love of music for 40+ years but have never had to depend on it for income. I've been blessed with a lucrative but demanding career so haven't been able to play out as often as I like. My hat is off to working musicians who make their living with music because that requires commitment and dedication to the next level to be successful."

^ I agree. It's always been a pipe dream to make my living at music. Kudos to those people who do it! I know quite a few people that do it and they give mixed reviews of it...but I think I'd love it.

Part of the charm for me is that it is part time and I get to look forward to the weekends and the break in routine

SamJ likes this.
  14. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Working Musician - supplement my living significantly from music

I'm a studio player and gig fairly often but I still hold a day job. If I could make the transition to full time music I would.

TMARK likes this.
  15. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    For many years, it would've been "significantly supplement" for me, but now it's closer to "supplement a little."

16. PJ Katz

PJ Katz

Jan 2, 2015
    THIRD ROCK
    I do some mixing and gigging and that really affords me to buy more and better equipment. Im 100% fine with this.

17. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    I had to vote "other". Decades of gigging (supplement income between a little to significant, depending on the years. Now pretty much retired, except for a VERY occasional fill in. Still play every day.......guess I'm now a hobbyist? I doubt, I'll get back into a band again, but if I fall into EXACTLY the right situation...........anything is possible!

:bassist:

Imaginary Pony likes this.
  18. I'm actually in the process of moving from robot/automation fabrication and repair to playing music and a luthier apprenticeship...

19. Blue Moose

Blue Moose

Oct 8, 2009
    I had to debate between "Working / supplement income a little" and "Hobbyist / years of experience." For about 25 years, I was gigging almost every weekend. These days, I'll do a few gigs a year. Planning to change that now that the kids are basically grown and my weekends are freeing up a bit. I really, really miss gigging on a regular basis.

mikezimmerman and Muddslide like this.
  20. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    since I started on piano at age 6 ... I was dragged from room to room in grade school to play the piano like some kind of wind up toy monkey ... then at age 11 I played before my first larger crowd of about 2,000 ...
    I think I was rather hooked at that point ... went onto play trumpet / sing / guitar / bass ... high school band , choir , rock band ... all while still studying classical /jazz piano & theory ... onward into college ...

but I truly hated school ... so got into a well known local Cleveland , OH band and hit the road ...

I'd say music was my main source of income from the age of 14 to into my 40's ... at least that was my full time night job ... different 'electronics' types of day jobs , from sales to installs ...

now 57 ... I play/record at home in my Den full of Stuff .. !! and teach a little bit here and there ... IMG_2478.JPG

Imaginary Pony and SamJ like this.