1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass PC Threat?

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by mrjim123, Apr 25, 2010.

1. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    Anybody see any warnings similar to this (my AVG anti virus program popped it up - I did not click on "More Information")?

Attached Files:

• tb.JPG
      tb.JPG
      File size:
      23 KB
      Views:
  2. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    ...wat.

Check for viruses. Are you sure it's AVG popping that up and not some rogue spyware?

Might want to let one of the admins know too.

Also, is it me or is TB really slow tonight?

3. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    I could be wrong about AVG. I *THOUGHT* the icon was an AVG icon, but maybe it's not. I did email admin about it.

4. I've gotten the same message here too.

5. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I've gotten a message from my norton security suite telling me to get off of this site.
    RD

6. Never got anything from my Kaspersky.

7. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
  8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Talkbass made my browser (IE8) shut down earlier. Came back and saw this thread. Went to this link. My McAfee site advisor lit up RED big time! I've had it do that on very few sites/pages before.

Is this cure worse than the problem?

Edit by paul: link updated to yahoo answers

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there's nothing talkbass.com could do to "shut down your browser". there is, however, malware that could be resident on your computer that could.

if you're having a problem going to the link that paul provided - precisesecurity.com is known for having wonky ads on occasion, and since the ads are linked on the page, even though you don't click them, and are not in danger from them at all, your antivirus will detect the links and give a warning anyway - try this link :

http://social.answers.microsoft.com...r/thread/f4534ece-019a-47e1-91e0-a5a1c2bac702

or try going directly to malwarebytes.org and download the free version of malwarebytes. this is one of the most powerful anti-malware programs available, and it's free.

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    FWIW, one thing I did learn from the last "attempted" incarnation of "The Dude Pit" is that, indeed, a website can make my computer/browser lock up and/or shut down. I was the first one to report it to him and he told me I was nuts......right up to the point he got the same report from a bunch of other users.

It could have been coincidence (this thread/browser shut down) and nothing more here yesterday. It was simply the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. Only happened once and has been fine since.

I've got a couple different malware detection/removal programs running. They're showing I'm clean.

11. Wow, "Go to my homepage instead" would be a huge tip-off, I'm thinking.

12. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    I'm getting all sorts of warnings from my corporate Symantec Antivirus.

This has NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE ON TALKBASS.

It must be one of the banner ads.

I am getting warnings for

JS.Sykipot
    Bloodhound.PDF!gen
    Torojan.Malscript!html

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    gotcha. i get that sometimes too - sometimes i get it when some ad tries to load in some kind of flash object that ends up crashing.

have you tried malwarebytes? just asking - i've used multiple anti-malware programs simultaneously in the past, and nothing that i've ever used has come close to the thoroughness of malwarebytes as far as finding every little thing.

another thing i have noticed before is in regard to how folks link to pictures off-site in their posts on talkbass all the time. the sites they link to, that might be hosting the pictures, can also be in the blacklists of some of the anti-malware programs, for whatever reason, which throws up a positive, and in all the times that i've researched them, a false positive at that.

if you guys can list out the links that are causing the problems, i'll check them out. remember, we have no way of controlling what folks post (until after the fact) short of pre-moderating every post hitting the site before we accept them, and there's no way we have even a small fraction of the personnel on our staff to pre-moderate the approx. 10,000 new posts we get every day.

but that also means that all you folks experiencing problems can at least rest assured there's nothing wrong with talkbass, if for no other reason, than because we get -thousands- of different, unique visitors every day, and if there were problems with the site, they'd -all- be seeing something.

that being said, please continue informing us about these kinds of problems so we can act on them.

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    *points to post #9* ;) :D

i'd suggest to all folks here, or at least those not running ubuntu :D , to check out malwarebytes, regardless of the security programs you are currently running.

download it here : http://www.malwarebytes.org , update it and then do a full scan. i've yet to see anything it misses, and it doesn't stay loaded in ram, doesn't run in the background, potentially interrupting your work, or force you to jump through any hoops for configuration. it just cleans up the mess, and is free.

if you are still having problems, please tell us the thread you are trying to look at - like i said in my post above, sometimes folks are linking to an off-site picture hosted on a site that is considered "dirty" for something, and this triggers the warning.

i've had this happen a few times : a tb'er would contact me about a thread tossing up some kind of warning, i go to check out the thread, it's some picture post from years ago, the picture is long gone, the site it was hosted on has expired and been purchased by some cybersquatter trying to milk the old site's traffic, and in the process put the site on the (anti-virus) map for being a malicious one, and in the process they make talkbass look bad too.

15. I was having problems not related to Talkbass with an old computer a couple weeks ago. Ran Malwarebytes, then ran the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool... The Microsoft tool found several things that Malwarebytes didn't. Just FYI!

Said computer problems couldn't be resolved, oh well... time for a new computer anyway! I bought a laptop last Sunday, and accessing Talkbass from my brand new computer, Firefox said I needed an additional plugin to view the page. It said it was Java, so I accepted figuring that since my machine was new I just needed an update. After that, ANY Youtube link (including just going straight to their homepage) redirected to a Myspace profile. :confused: !@#$% weird. Uninstalled Firefox, ran my virus protection (Trend Micro) and reinstalled FF. No problems, Trend didn't find anything, and I can get to Youtube links again.

5sg.

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    had you updated malwarebytes after you downloaded it? they update their definitions almost daily, and they don't necessarily include the most updated definitions in the install, so you need to run the updater -after- you install it. i've dealt with large clusters of pcs and i've never seen anything that malwarebytes couldn't handle that any of the other things that i used could, especially not the m$ tool. if anything, ime, malwarebytes gets the goods before everyone else, including m$, does. but that's just my experience. it is good to have multiple options to stay clean.

where did you get your java bho from? if it didn't come from sun microsystems, it could have been compromised and installed a browser hijack.

also, which myspace profile? i'm curious - do you remember? heh.

17. Probably not... I was a little frustrated at the time and didn't think about updating automatically after install. Derrrr... :/ lol

It was some chick's profile, SR388... Samantha or Stephanie something. I didn't stick around to check it out though, you know? I suspect you're right, the "java" update messed with something. I did a little googling and it seems like a DNS issue, it happened again about 10 minutes ago. Command prompt > "ipconfig/flushdns" seems to have solved it, we'll see if it comes back.

I've come to the realization that my life would be easier if I didn't have to deal with people or computers. lol

5sg.

18. millertx

millertx

Dec 18, 2006
    Flower Mound, TX
    I received this popup once myself, only on talkbass, my guess it is one of the banner adds.

19. Got a security flag from my virus checker (avira) on tb last night. Asked if I wanted to clean the offensive code and I went on.

20. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    A request: When you get a notification from an antivirus or other security software regarding TalkBass, please post the exact thread URL you were accessing when you go the message, and include as much specific information as provided by your software as you can.

The security of our servers has no signs of any tampering, and these notifications more than likely pertain to sites linked to within certain threads. For example if a user inserts remote-hosted images into a post, when the remote host is 'blacklisted', it'll set off security software alarms.