Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

talking down...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 5stringFanatic, Mar 27, 2005.

1. 5stringFanatic

5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    Hey guys,

not sure if im posting in the right place... but i have a question for those who know how to bargain.

Lets say i goto guitar center, and i see a bass i like, or an amp i like for that matter, and the salesperson says.. the price is.. X amount of dollars, how do you talk them down? lol...

I need some tips on how to engage in bargaining conversation.

Thanks in advance,
    H

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Start by asking if that's their best price. They may say yes, if they do talk to someone else. Call other stores in the area and see what they'll do for you also, ask for the best possible price over the phone. GC is an odd beast in that some stuff they have coded in their computers and can sell it cheap and other stuff they don't have as much wiggle room on so it can be really frustrating. If you don't like the price they give you offer them a lowball to which they'll say no, but then they'll probably offer you something a little lower than what they said before. That's the heart and soul of negotiation brother, try your damndest to screw them cuz that's what they're trying to do to you, get as much money out of you as they can. Good luck.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Also, be willing to walk out of the store without making a purchase if you don't like their prices. If you're hell-bent on buying, you'll likely not get as good a deal as you could if the salesman thinks he might lose you. Even if he/she refuses to go any lower, you can usually come back the next day and tell them you'll buy for whatever the lowest price they quoted you was.

4. BassAde

BassAde

Mar 11, 2005
    S-o-T U.K.
    Ask what the sales person's name is & make it look like you're going to be buying other stuff from them in the future. This will give the sales person the false impression you'll be buying through him/her again :)When they reach their bottom price, see what you can get thrown in with it all.i.e. a coupla sets of strings, straplocks, straps, instrument cables, etc.

5. Do your homework first. Find out how much the item is really worth. Get at least three prices. I have found that any place will wheel and deal if you go in with your facts straight. Don't forget about sales tax. Sometimes it's cheaper and quicker to order on line on some items. Even when you find a price you like never be shy about asking for more off the price. All they can say is yes or no. I went to GC one day and asked them why they always have these great blowout sales and deals for guitar players and never have and deals that matter for us bass players. The salesman said what he could do to make me happy. I left that day with a new QSC PLX 2402 for $550.00. I would have paid more but I didn't have to.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Remember that a bunch of these clowns are making money off commission, so if you use up a bunch of their time and get ready to walk, they'll likely change their mind to recoop some losses.

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Step number 1: Don't shop at Guitar Center.

Now do all the other things listed, just don't forget step number 1. Also don't forget to check major websites. If you tell a sales guy: "Well that's the same price as www.whatevermusicgear.com, but they ship free and I don't pay sales tax..." they get nervous. Nervous sales people are good.

:)

8. If you're going to slam the door on all your options to keep money in your pocket why bother to shop around?

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Au contraire. GC buys in such large quantities, that sometimes their sales price is LOWER than dealer prices for mom & pop shops.

10. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I go online, get companies such as zzounds, music123,sam ash,8th st music, riks music ,same day music etc to beat each others prices. Then I print out the lowest quote and take it down to GC and let them beat it. They always have beat or matched the price for me.

11. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Decide how much your willing to spend on the bass. Take that amount (and no more) in cash. Lay the money on the counter and tell them they can make a sale now. If they don't accept the offer, walk out.

12. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    print out lowest online price, take to GC or other store, they should match.

consider of course the comparison of online shipping fee vs in store tax in your decision.

very few stores in my opinion actively cultivate long term customers by offering low prices in hopes you will be loyal. it isn't the same world it was 15 years ago. go for the lowest price you can find. don't listen to the "we can offer you service if you buy from us" BS.

13. I agree with the above comment that you need to be ready to walk. In fact, go, look, get a quote, then walk. Come back later and ask if they can beat the price. Repeat this a few times and folks will often start adding stuff. Just don't do it too many times or you'll be seen as a "shopper" not a "buyer" and the staff may ignore you.

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    ***Important Note***

Make sure you take the $$$ off the counter when you walk out.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Make sure the price you want to pay is realistic. Don't ask them to sell you a Mesa 400+ for $350. I would not give any false impressions to people either, that's not cool.

-Mike

16. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    This is a tactic that really works well for me. Ask lots of questions to eat up the salesmans time (although it helps to already know the answers). You want to make the salesman invest way too much time in you so that he is willing to take a bigger cut in his commision so all that time is not wasted.

17. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    +1

I wish people at guitar stores took me seriously, I have a decent amount of money I'd want to spend, but since I'm a teenager with long hair wearing a phish T-shirt I get completely ignored. Although I've never made any huge purchaes at my local GC, I have bought a good amount of small tings at least twice a month (cables, sticks, heads, strings, effects, low end instruments) But I never get ANY help in there(unless in the drums department, always seems like the drums are good guys) I'll be in there looking for a nice fretless, and ask to play the thumb on the wall (after having to pretty much yell at the saleman to get his attention), and the guy will either say yes, but brush it off and hope I just, or just tell me to ask somebody else.

sorry for the rant, but I had to get that out there.

18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I find that buying music equipment is in many respects a lot like buying a car . The more expensive a piece of gear you are looking at, the better chance you will have at getting a discount. Someone selling a car at $2000 probaly isn't going to knock anything off if they find out that you're not trading anything in (and probaly wouldn't accept a trade-in in the first place), but someone selling a car at $5000 probaly is going to come down. Likewise, you're probaly not going to get much of a discount on a $250 bass (though I'd try to get a strap/chord/picks thrown in if I could), but you probaly will on a $900 bass. Things like that are usually marked up from the price that the store really is intending to get for them.

As stated earlier, don't get hooked in by the whole "better service BS". I told a store that I could get a bass a lot cheaper at Musician's Friend, and they laid the whole "yeah, but if it needs repaired you would have to ship it back, blah blah blah". Guess what - I found a store that beat MF's price and that's where I bought the bass.

19. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

How do you know you are getting the lowest price?

NO

Learn to cherish this word. If you pushed to get a better
    price and the salesdweeb always said 'yes' to your 'reasonable'
    offer, you didn't get the best price. You are getting close
    when you hear 'NO'. It is around this threshhold where the
    deal should be made. Assuming you ARE ready to deal.

I never push unless I am BUYING. Then the GC or other
    music store guy knows I am on the trail of something.
    I always say, 'I am looking to BUY xxx today'. This is a phrase
    sales guys key on. It puts things in a very different
    perspective than 'I am looking at xxx today'.