Tapewound Strings for a Yamaha BB435 is this length suitable...?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rangotouille, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Rangotouille

Rangotouille

Apr 22, 2019
    I have a Yamaha BB435. It's a 34" scale, 5-string bass that's strung through the body.

I want to fit La Bella 750G-B (tapewound) strings but I'm not sure if their size is suitable.

I found this at the La Bella website:
    Will these fit my BB435?

2. This particular La Bella set has the B and E at 36.75" winding length (ball end to silk/taper), and 38" for the rest.

If you want to make sure, just measure the distance on your bass from where the ball end sits to the nut on B and E. As long as it's less than 36.75", then you'll be okay.

Yamaha uses their own unique "diagonal" thru-body design, where the string passes thru the body without an extra break behind the saddle.

Rangotouille likes this.
  3. Rangotouille

Rangotouille

Apr 22, 2019
    Thanks. It hadn't occurred to me to measure it. The guitar's on it's way to me via courier so once it reaches me I'll, I guess, use a piece of string to get the length.

Really hoping they're long enough; I really want these on my bass.

4. If it so turns out 36.75" isn't quite long enough, you can always top-load the B and the E and put the rest thru-body.

Rangotouille likes this.
  5. Rangotouille

Rangotouille

Apr 22, 2019
    Thanks, :)

I really don't want to do that but I guess I might end up doing so.

6. Rangotouille

Rangotouille

Apr 22, 2019
    Just took another look at it and it doesn't look like top loading is possible with the BB435 bridge?

The scale length of the BB435 is 34" so it leaves me 2.75" spare to reach through the guitar from the bridge. Fingers crossed that's going to be enough.

7. From Yamaha Canada website:

The 400 models are equipped with a Vintage Plus Light bridge that incorporates “Diagonal Body Thru Stringing,” in which the strings are angled at the saddle and pass through the instrument to the bridge at a 45º angle, as opposed to the traditional vertical stringing method which places more stress on the strings. Diagonal Body Thru Stringing significantly reduces this stress while transferring string vibration to the body reliably and efficiently. The strings can also be attached to the tail end of the bridge. In 5-string models the bridge is equipped with an offset low B string.
    Sounds like the BB435 bridge has both top-load and thru-body options.

8. Rangotouille

Rangotouille

Apr 22, 2019
    Thanks. I guess I just couldn't see how that would work by eyeballing it. I'll have to figure that out.

I'm hoping they'll be long enough. I won't know until it arrives and I can measure it. I just took a look at a ruler and it seems 2.75" is actually longer than I thought it was so it might be okay.

9. Something else you can try is to post your question here: New Yamaha BB series

You may be able to get help from one of the current BB users.

Rangotouille likes this.
  10. Rangotouille

Rangotouille

Apr 22, 2019
    Thanks, I'll take a look at the thread. Most appreciated.