Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tapewound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Looking for new strings to my MIM P-bass and i'm looking to try something new, so i saw on 7enders website something called 9120s Nylon tapewound 34", i don't know how the strings look if there round or flat, has anyone tried apair of these, i saw that La Bella also makes them but heavier gauge.

Does any company makes a High C string if i get my hands out of the *** and buy the Warmoth i always dreamed about

BTW, Happy new year everybody! :bassist:

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Strangely enough, I just put a set of 9120's on my Jazz bass yesterday. So far, I like them. The outer wrap is flat nylon tape, so they have a smooth feel. Under the tape, they're roundwound. I think they sound like somewhat muted nickel roundwounds, obviously with less finger noise. Perhaps a bit thumpier than ordinary nickels. And probably not so hot as slap strings. Also, even though they're huge, tension is not particularly high.

La Bella will gladly sell you a high C or low B tapewound, but I don't think Fender makes them.

3. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    if there roundwound, do you think they will wear on a fretless fingerboard?

4. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Nope, the tape will protect the fretboard. I have a set of fenders on a DeArmond Hollowbody and the combination produces a woody, thumpy tone not far from a bouble bass. I like it!

5. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Thanks for your post! I will get a pack and see if this is the stuff for me, how did you think of the heavy gauge?

BTW, what is a Bouble bass? ;) :p

6. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    YO Mark, I didn't have your address so I just sent out your two sets of strings, enjoy!!!!!

George

7. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Oh, OK, thanks, George. Did you get the Pyramids yet?

Update for Thurisarz: The tapes were too mellow for me on my Jazz, so it's now wearing Pro Steels which are - how can I 'splain it - not mellow. I like tapes quite a bit on fretless, but I'm fretless-less right now.

8. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Thanks for the info Flatwound!

I will buy a pack when i get my warmoth fretless neck!

9. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    I've treid the Fender tapewounds and the Labella tapewounds and much prefer the LaBellas. The stuff (nylon?) on the Fenders is too plasticy in feel and the tone is less warm and complex than the LaBellas. The LaBellas are roundwound under the tape, so they have the thump from the tape but they have more sustain and clarity than, say, nickel wounds. LaBella tapewounds are the strings I put on my fretless basses for the more jazzy, woody sound. They are also easy on the fretboard.

10. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
  11. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    So the fenders aren't roundwound? The La bellas is a heavier gauge then the fenders i've read, is that a yay or nay for you? Is it "possible" to use slap and pop technique?

12. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
  13. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, the Fenders are roundwound under the wrap too. I think the LaBellas are maybe a little brighter like Bluemonk says, but I don't remember for sure. As far as I'm concerned, the gauge difference only matters as to whether they fit in your nut. Neither set is very high tension. I'm not going to say that you can't slap them, but it doesn't sound very good to me.

14. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    I don't slap, so I'm not any help on that question. However, I don't think of either of these strings as ones you choose for slapping. They are more old school and jazz. Carvin strings their hollowbodies with them and also sells the strings cheap. I've gotten a couple of sets from them.