Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tatsu Aoki

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Marc Decho, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Anybody familiar with this cats muzak?....he's a japaneese free-jazz/straight ahead jazz/experimental bassist/composer on Southport Records...I got turned on to him recently and have only heard a bit of his stuff....I listened to this program of improvised contrabass with electronic processing (not too much) and poetry...it was deemed "edgy-gothic circus" which fits the description perfectly .... some very intense moments....he's got a very interesting catalogue of recordings of varying styles...(Ron Surace, Ron Anderson, Elijah Levy (Ink Spots fame).....one in particular i'm gonna go check out is called "2x4" which is a disc of improvised duets with fellow contrabassist Malachi Favors (Art Ensemble of Chicago)

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Tatsu has a new duo record coming out very shortly on Southport with the very gifted Tim Odell on alto and soprano sax. I can't wait to hear it.

3. I heard Aoki last year in Washington DC at the Smithsonian's Freer Gallery auditorium during the cherry blossum festival. The museum and the city invite a variety of Japanese performers, artists, and artisans to DC at that time. Aoki's performance was beautiful with a mix of musical influences from around the world. All of the ensemble players were great too. I can't quote you any of the pieces, however, since the program is buried under a bunch of papers somewhere. Aoki lives and works in Chicago these days.

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    There's a nice interview with Mr. Aoki at JazzWeekly.com. Click on the microphone and look under -- wait for it -- "A"

5. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    he is on some fred anderson recordings too and i really like his playing, there are tons of great chicago musicians, tortoise, jeff parker, rob mazurek, chad taylor..........

6. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Back before I played bass, I met Tatsu at one of the last San Francisco Asian Jazz Fests a few years ago. Really nice guy and totally approachable. Apparently he's a Professor and teaches Film at a major University in Chicago and plays bass on the side. From what I remember I liked his playing but I definitely need to get more of his stuff.

7. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I really like his work with Fred Anderson and leading the Miyumi project. Also great duo album 2X4 w/ Malachi Favors Maghostut.

Website is here.

Here teaches film at the Art Institute of Chicago.