Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tattoo Opinions.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Alright, I want a tattoo. Bass related of course.
    I've narrowed it down to...

A) [​IMG]
    The Jaco Stick Figure.

B) [​IMG]

or Something along those lines.

Even the Lion Rampart would be cool.

[​IMG]

Any suggestions? I only want one. Maybe if I could incorporate the Lion Rampart, with the Bass Clef....

2. The Jaco one would be cool.....I would take that one, in black, small somewhere....

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I would avoid the Jaco one, unless you get it done in relief. Othewise, everyone will just think it's a crappy tattoo. Now, I know it's "for you," but everyone else is gonna look at it, and wonder why you got such a scewy tatt. However, in relief, it'll look intentional, and probably a lot better anyway. It'd look good if you got like, the whol back of your arm (tricep) or calf blacked (and could do a design with the border/edge of the blacking), and then had the Jaco figure standing out. That'd be decent.

4. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    That's what I was thinking. I don't want to put much money into it, also with the wonderful artists we have up here, i don't think they have much brain capacity to do one of relief...

Would you think doing a combo of the Lion and the Clef would be a good idea? I just don't know how...

5. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Just found another one I really like. I know a few TBers have it!

[​IMG]

Something along those lines maybe...

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's not hard, ink an outline of it, and then work your way out from there. It's not hard; and if they are too boneheaded, go find someone who is a quality artist, and pony up for whatever they're charging. Never settle: it's permanent, and if it's just "second best" it might as well not get done in the first place. Get what you WANT, not what you can afford, or get done at the moment.

7. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Thanks man. but I think i've decided on a clear version of
    [​IMG]

Now i'm just debating where. Wrist maybe?
    I don't think i want it on my arm, or shoulder, cause i'm a scrawney kid.
    Now the pain factor comes into play :D

8. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    If I got a tat, it'd be of a bass clef and it'd be right above my ankle.

9. Wow, that's hanging on my wall! I've been thinking about getting a tattoo of it for a while now, but it'll be a few years. Good luck with your ink!

10. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    What is this pic from?

11. It's a Scottish Lion...the flag pictured is some variation of Scotland's flag, but I'm not sure if it's the country's official flag or not. Anyone know more?

12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    visible tats often can interfere with a job

13. Agreed. Get it someplace easily conceilable like on your ankle or back.

14. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yea. That's another crappy thing. Also cause I want to be teacher in the future. Maybe Calf would be the best bet

15. Bass_noobzor

Bass_noobzor

Sep 2, 2005
    Ontario
    im inked.. and wrist would seem to hurt.. just because your scrony doesn't mean it's going to be tons more pain.. depends where u got it.. i have mine on my shoulder blade.. and if u notice u can be huge and buff and not have a lot of meat over the shoulder blade..

16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i got mine on my left shoulder

17. As long as you don't have Jaco's name tattoed somewhere around your buttocks, you should be fine. I like that double bass clef one though.

18. I wanna get the stick Jaco on my right forearm, with his legs on my fingers. So that way when I play bass he dances.

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think you need to decide, then wait long and think hard whether or not you want Jaco on your ass for the next 80 years of your life.

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Its a very personel decsion that you should take all the time you need to decide.