1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Taylor AB-1 acoustic bass guitar

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Ukiah Bass, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Price:
    Strings:
    For sale: Taylor AB-1 acoustic bass guitar

VG/Excellent condition Taylor AB-1 acoustic bass guitar. Manufactured in 2001. The Manzer-style wedge shape makes it easy to play this large body ABG for hours without tiring the arm. Good acoustic volume projection for an ABG -- one of the best partly due to the large body size. Spruce top, imbuia body/neck, fretted ebony fingerboard. Has La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass 760N black nylon tape wound strings. An easy, comfortable player!

The weak element on a stock AB-1 is the Fishman ABGP-2 pickup/preamp/tone control. In 2016, I had my luthier upgrade the stock unit with a Fishman Matrix Infinity Pickup & Preamp System and Fishman VTB Active Volume & Tone Controls. I chose these based on advice of Glen Wolff, who is Customer Service Manager at Taylor. He also advised going with the 1/8" / 3.2mm wide pickup format (Model Number 1: PRO-MAT-INF) instead of the 3/32" / 2.3mm narrow format (Model #2). Model #1 provides a stronger signal for the bass.

Price includes:

• Taylor AB-1 acoustic bass guitar with black nylon tape wound strings and upgraded active Fishman pickup / preamp / tone control
    • Original Taylor padded gig bag, VG condition
    • Hex tool for screws for internal access to the 9V battery compartment
    • Custom-made walnut feedback buster from LuteHole.com
    • Dampit humidifier
    • Herco guitar humidifier. My music room is humidity controlled so I don't need these two humidifiers.
    • Professionally packed, ground shipping CONUS only.

Disclaimers: There is a tiny scrape at the top of the backside of the neck, which I tried to capture in a photo below. Can't feel it with fingers. There are also three tiny nicks in the backside (all dark) edge of the bout; I tried to photograph those but my camera could not capture them. Otherwise this bass shows minimal wear. Mostly used in my home studio. Sold as is.

SOUND SAMPLES

In addition to being an excellent player, this bass sounds great! Here are links to a slow cover version of Charlie Haden's Our Spanish Love Song, which I recently produced with this bass. Linked WAV files are 24-bit resolution with sample rate of 48.0kHz.

Mic'd. AB-1 only recorded acoustically in sound-treated home studio with a Peluso 22 251 large diaphragm condenser about 7 inches in front of the sound hole, mic'd signal routed through a Focusrite into DAW. No EQ or effects added.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/odhd3i1xmpvq36w/Our%20Spanish%20Love%20Song%20-%20AB-1%20mic%27d%20no%20EQ%20or%20effects.wav?dl=0

DI'd. AB-1 only recorded from Fishman pickup/preamp (flat, no EQ) through a Noble tube preamp (flat, no EQ, no HPF engaged), DI'd signal routed through a Focusrite into DAW. No EQ or effects added.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rfrqz8q05omerci/Our%20Spanish%20Love%20Song%20-%20AB-1%20pickup%20and%20DI%20no%20EQ%20or%20effects.wav?dl=0

Final Mix. AB-1 blend of about 75% mic'd signal and 25% DI signal mixed with lead and rhythm guitars.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0pxifjoxy3i4a0/Our%20Spanish%20Love%20Song%20-%20AB-1%20blended%20into%20full%20mix.wav?dl=0

Price: $2,450 incl. shipping CONUS only, PayPal only. Thank you for looking!

01-Taylor AB-1 - soundhole.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    Great bass from a trusted seller!

Ukiah Bass likes this.
  3. Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I made this video with the AB-1. See it while hearing it too!

mikezimmerman likes this.
  4. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    I owned an AB-1 and an AB-3 back in the day. By far the best ABGs I've ever played, and you don't see them for sale much these days. GLWTS!

Ukiah Bass likes this.
  5. Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    That's been my experience, too. If you want an acoustic bass experience in a guitar format, AB-1 is the way to go!

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Crazy that this is still here. Truly wish I had the money!

fishdreams and Ukiah Bass like this.
  7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    This price is crazy, especially considering the work you've had done to it.

Ukiah Bass and j-raj like this.
  8. BassQ

BassQ Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Boston, MA.
    I owned an AB-1 a number of years ago and really enjoyed it.
    Superior craftsmanship, effortless to play and a full-bodied and wholesome sound.
    Someone will be very pleased.
    GLWTS!

Ukiah Bass likes this.
  9. Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    This offering is on hold. A TB member has paid a deposit and intends to close at the end of February.

10. Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    And sold! Thank you for looking!