1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC BH250 vs BG250-208

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dyo, Jun 9, 2014.

1. dyo

dyo

Apr 12, 2014
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Hi,

I was considering to buy the tc bh250 head when I realized that they also offer the bg250-208 for exactly the same price, which would fit me quite well if the cab at least sounds decent. Is ist correct that both of these are the exactly same amp units? Has anyone ever compared them directly with the same cab?

I am Not entirely convinced .. Why would they offer a bh250 WITH a 208 cab for exactly the same price as the bh250 alone?

Furthermore, does anybody own a bg250-208 and is there a possibilitiy to unscrew the amp unit? This would make it an instant no-brainer for me, as I could also simply transport the amp unit without the cab if I were in need to do so.

I have one more question regarding the di-out. I usually play an EBS microbass directly into the PA and use my amp for monitoring purposes only. This gives me a very clean sound on the pa. I could of course continue doing this with the tc amp, but this would leave me without the toneprint on the pa.

Do you have experiences with the di out? Does it provide a nice an clean sounding high quality signal as long as I dont use too much eq and no toneprint?

Thanks in advance

2. Wow! They've really been dropping the price on the BG250-208 in Europe.

Why would they sell for the same price? They certainly didn't start out that way. The 208 was released with a much higher price...more than the 112 and 115, and it still is here in the US. My guess is that the price drops reflect their success in selling them at the higher price and their desire to move them.

They are the same amp, but according to some communication another TBer had with TCE, they are are setup somewhat differently, probably with the amp section of the BG250 tweaked for the 208 cabinet.

Is it possible to unscrew the amp section? Yes. It's attached with screws. Possible and practical are different though, ha! The screws are not easily accessible, and once it's off it's off...and it wouldn't have feet. But it would be interesting to set up some kind of slots and a quick release. If you're particularly handy, go for it!

The DI on all of the TCE amps is generally regarded as very good/excellent. I've had only positive experiences with the RH450, RH750 and BG250-115.

3. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    I use the DI from my bg250 115. I've had great success with it and good reviews from sound guys. Basically same amp as the bh250 as well.

I hope the price comes down in the US. The 208 would be good for most things and an additional cab under it, maybe 210 or 212 if I need more volume. Just waiting for the price to come down.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1402369609.820489.

4. My experience with BG250 208 was not the best one. I was completely underwhelmed with it. The sound was muffled and undefined for me and it was just not loud enough. I returned the first unit and got a replacement, which was louder but still muffled. Eventually, I returned that one too and got new Fender Rumble 500. I am so much happier.

I never used TC through a DI though, so can't comment on that.

5. JustStarted10

JustStarted10

May 30, 2014
    I like BH250 head. Originally I was going to try RH450,but I was blown away by BH250,with the right cab,that amp is monster.

6. dyo

dyo

Apr 12, 2014
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Thanks for your replies. The pricing is really odd but quite nice..;) I guess I will give it a try. Some kind of slots with a quick release was actually something I was thinking about. ;) It's important to know that it's at least technically possible to unscrew the amp unit in contrast to it being glued to the cab. ;) I think I will buy the 250-208 and see what I can do.

7. eudaimonia

eudaimonia

Jan 12, 2014
    I just bought BG250-208 today. I am using Rumble v3 500H + 115 (+410 if needed) as my main rig. Initially I bought Rumble v3 100 combo for small gigs but I returned it. I just didn't like the sound of 12" speaker compared to 115 and 410.

Next I tried BG250-112 combo but didn't like that one either. Then I found out about the new price of TC 208 and bought it immediately. I really like the sound, the size, the weight, toneprint, tuner and everything. For my use the sound of 2x8" is great. I am happy now and I have all the amps I will need for years to come.

If there is something negative about 208 combo, it's the noise the fan makes. It's not a problem when playing loud but when playing silently at home, it is there all the time and you hear it. Otherwise for 299 euro it is a great amp.

8. eudaimonia

eudaimonia

Jan 12, 2014
    I just emailed TC support and asked, would it be possible to update 208 electronics with BH250 firmware. If it is, I'm buying a second one and will detach the head from combo. Then I would have a nice 2x2x8" speaker cabs and a spare head with BH250 eq specs.

9. dyo

dyo

Apr 12, 2014
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Are the EQ specs between the BH250 and the BG250-208 different? The center frequencies?
    I just bought the BG250-208 and I'm very happy so far. Have to find a nice cab to attach to it to get nice lows for gigs. I am thinking about 1x15, 1x12 or 2x12. Any recommendations? :)

10. eudaimonia

eudaimonia

Jan 12, 2014
    Yes, the eq central frequencies are different. You can find the facts from user manual, it's the sama manual for both.

11. eudaimonia

eudaimonia

Jan 12, 2014
    Here is how TC replyed to my question about the firmware update:

"It is unfortunately not possible (at the moment) to load a BH250 software on the combos amp. In theory, you cannot detach the head from the combo (at least in the first 2 years) , because you would void the warranty ( you need to open the amp).
    I totally agree that this would be nice, if it was possible to detach it, or if we had a 208 cab only. This has been already asked by other users and forwarded to product management."

There is a hope the TC product management will consider the request in next generation amps.

12. dyo

dyo

Apr 12, 2014
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Ok, the EQ is actually not a big deal for me, since I use a preamp for most of the EQ settings anyway. A detachable unit would be great. You really have to open the whole amp unit..but I am still considering it anyway. We'll see. ;)

13. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic

The only difference is the Treble control. The Bass and Mid are the same.

14. lasalle69

lasalle69 "Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride"-H.S.T.

Nov 21, 2007
    Somerset, MA
    Hey all;
    New to tb and to head/cab amps. Always used a combo. Just bought the tce bh250 for 299. I have an old westbury 115w combo that has not worked in years so I am inserting an eminence legend ca164(300w) 15" speaker to the cab and then gonna hook up the bh250. Anybody know if this will even work? All my research says it should.

15. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    Will it make noise? Yes
    Will it sound good? Probably not!

Spend your $ more wisely and get a cab that is designed for the speaker that's in it.

btw, I used my BH250 head last night with my Berg 12's. Sounded awesome!!

16. lasalle69

Nov 21, 2007
    Somerset, MA
    So- one 15" speaker is not as good sounding as 2 or more smaller ones? The old westbury cab is pretty solid 3/4 inch ply with good hardware.

17. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    You're looking to stick a 15" speaker in an old cab that probably wasn't well designed to begin with, much less wasn't designed for the speaker you mentioned. Chances are about 1 in 500 that it will sound worth a dang. Has nothing to do with how many speakers. You want to take a chance, go for it, but I'd bet you wish you hadn't wasted the money. Just my $.02.

18. lasalle69

Nov 21, 2007
    Somerset, MA
    Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it. The speaker has not arrived yet, so I can return it unopened and get my 84 bucks back. Did I mention that the westbury 555 had a 15" speaker originally.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  19. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    I think he meant that even different 15" speakers will or will not work well indifferent cabinets. The volume of the cab and port dimensions are determined by the characteristics of the speaker. That just putting any 15" speaker in an old cab will not likely be optimal. May even damage the speaker, no idea how likely that is.

20. Shabz

Shabz

Jun 20, 2014
    In case you weren't aware, the DI can be set to either (Pre EQ, Pre toneprints) or (Post Eq, Post Toneprint)

Scottkarch likes this.