1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Electronic RH450, RS210, RS212 Review Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    I just got the rig yesterday, so I thought I'd start a new thread for these reviews.

First impressions (mainly physical) out of the box:

* The head is lighter than I imagined.
    * The cabs are a little larger than I imagined, albeit compact for 2x'sd. The weight is definitely manageable.

I'll probably have a chance to spend some plugged-in time with it today or tomorrow. First practice is on Monday.

My main goal here is to see if any of these pieces would be able to replace what I currently have which is a MarkBass LMII, a G-K MB2-500 (mainly a backup), a Schroeder Mini 12, and a Schroeder Mini 12+. I'm also going to judge if I can let go of my Korg pitchblack tuner, my VT Bass, and my BBE Compressor as all of this functionality is in the head.

I'll be trying out all combinations of heads and cabs along the way. If anyone has any specific questions, please let me know. Thanks.

2. subscribed:)

3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    subscribed +1

4. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    +1 subscribed

5. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    ditto

6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Subscribed!

7. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Subscribed. BTW, did you get both the 10" and the 12" cabs?

8. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    +1 Subscribed

9. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Yes, I chose of each. For lower volume gigs I'd probably be using only one cab and I wanted to see if the 2x10 would hold up.

10. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Perfect.

As for questions, some of the things I'm curious about are:

__ Using the amp as a preamp for recording into a computer.

__ Using the amp as a preamp for a more powerful amp while gigging live.

__ How quiet is the amp, particularly with long cables? This is something we take for granted until we are confronted with noise, so it is something we might forget to mention if it is quite silent.

__ There are questions about whether or not this rig has the umph to be loud enough. Do you (or does someone you know) have a sound level meter so you can check the SPL of the rig at say 20 feet in front of it, and compare the loudness (and the sound quality at those volumes) to your other reference rigs?

__ Do the user memories vanish at power down, or are they still there to be used when you power on in that venue again the next night?

__ Did TC send the gear to you in the flight cases? In the gig bags? If so, do you have some words to say about them as well?

__ I'm a fan of vertical column speaker arrays (thanks to Bose), so I already like the idea of how the cabinets stack. But how stable are they like that, with the head perched on top?

__ How quickly does the tuner track? Do you think it would be useful in helping train intonation for careful scales on an unlined fretless?

Anyway, that's enough for now I'm sure. :bassist:

Thanks for doing this for all of us. In fact, you might be real sorry real soon you were selected for this! :bawl:

11. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Hey Tom,

I can answer some of your questions already...

This I can do. I may be able to get something up tomorrow.

This is definitely possible, however I don't have access to a power amp. I'll try to find out is someone close to me has one and wants to help with the experiment.

The cabs ship with 6' speakons. I believe i have a 20' hanging around somewhere. Were you thinking longer than this?

Hmmm. I'll have to find someone locally who has one. This would be an interesting experiment. Maybe I'll take a look in Radio Shack.

Memories hold after power down. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

No flight cases or bags.

There are no grooves on the cabs to make them interlock, however the textured finish is suprisingly very stable. I wouldn't worry about anything sliding off.

Well, the tuner tracks well, however I'm not sure it's any kind of replacement for a strobe. I'd be on the fence in regard to intonation training on a fretless.

Not a problem at all. I feel pretty lucky I'm able to do this. I've always been 'all about the bass' (axe that is) and this gives me a chance to get down and dirty with the other half of the tone equation.

12. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Rats, I can't quote you as you did me and have it make sense, so I'm going to have to do this another way.

--- Line Driver Out

Sorry for not being clear enough about this question. I meant to ask about the balanced line out, not the cab out... the right most jack when you are looking at the RH450 from the back.

TC's videos talk about how this connection as a transformer balanced output completely isolated from the rest of the amp to eliminate hum or noise so you can make long runs from the amp to a mixing console. I was wondering if it was as silent as advertised.

BTW, I love that this also has the pre- and post- switch so we can choose to take the processed signal from the preamp, or a signal prior to the preamp to the console.

13. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    --- Stack Stability

Again, I wasn't very clear. What worries me is bumping the stack inadvertently on a crowded stage. The wide footprint of my El Whappo cabinet would hurt me (or my bass) more than I'd hurt it if I were to bump it, but the TC cabs look like they could be bumped over if I (or a bandmate) loses track of where we are on stage and bumps into it.

BTW, too bad about the flight cases; that would have been an interesting bit of intel.

14. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Ah... got it. I can't predict what situations I'll be in, but for the most part a 20' cable will be it.

15. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Well, this pretty much depends on where you would bump the stack, and with how much force. I'm not sure I can answer this question with certainty.

16. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    From my posting on the other TC thread:

My Test Pilot rig arrived today :bag:

I chose the two RS210's although I had thought after the fact I should have grabbed one RS212.

I stood it up next to my SVT 4pro and 810 and started playing around and A/B-ing them.

After playing around with the eq points on the parametric my initial reaction is better than I thought it would be. I was able to dial in a pretty decent tone comparing to the fridge sitting next to it. I didn't like the Spectracomp, but I rarely use compressors in my sound. The Tubetone was a little bit of a let down for me, it seemed to sound more like a distortion pedal, but I'll see how it plays out live and play with it some more. I'm playing a medium size club this weekend and that's when all the adjustments get made. I'm keeping up with a hard hitting drummer and a Les Paul/Mesa Rectifier/412.
    One thing that popped out was the similarity in the overall sound that I got compared to my Roland Supercube combo that I use on small gigs. It's an old 1x15 combo, 100watts, in a really small cabinet. There's a grindy-ness to it that is similar. Maybe it's the small cabinet?

More later.

BTW, I'll also give the stack a little tip test. It was a concern for me as well....

17. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Cool. Thanks.

BTW, perhaps the Spectra comp is more sizzle than steak, but I at least liked the concept behind it. That would be too bad if the execution of the concept doesn't live up to the promise.

Would you guys also mention the basses (and strings) you use through the gear as well?

Cheers!

18. sixway

sixway Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    I think that is a great idea. Subcribed as well.

19. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Subscribed... :cool:

20. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    Spector NS-2 with DR Hi Beams

Thread Status: