1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TC Electronics BG250 combo users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iSteen, May 12, 2017.

1. iSteen

iSteen

Mar 29, 2012
    Denmark
    Any users out there, who want to talk about this thing?
    Every time I use this at home, I think it sounds pretty "thin" due to the light material it's buildt with. Been thinking about stuffing some "stuff"inside it, to get a fuller/beefy tone.
    Then every time I use it in a rehearsal or at a small gig, I'm amazed how good thing thing plays at 40-50% volume.
    Kick in the compressor, and it actually shakes my trousers.

It plays so much better when volume is turned up, than at home where I don't play so loud.

Anyone tried to place some kind of foam material inside?

2. CMartin

CMartin

May 12, 2017
    Germany
    Yeah, I get you there. I have the BG250-115 and it is really good when you crank up the sound a bit. I did have an issue that others were noticing that sounded like the tweaker was bad or rattling. Basically that was just cause by how they assembled it and attached the tweeter right to the wood the 15" is attached to. The tweeter's plastic casing seems to rattle at certain frequencies. I just removed the tweeter from the wood and put a thin piece of foam (or in my case neoprene from a tablet case I had over) and screwed it back in and never had the problem since.
    BTW: I am analyzing the TonePrints and have figured out where the settings are in the communication to the amp. Therefore I am reverse engineering the TonePrint communication to the amp and plan on 1. creating TonePrints of those missing prints that they didn't release for the bass amps, only the pedals and 2. eventually create a TonePrint editor for the bass amps. I know why they didn't give us this functionality. It wasn't that it can't be done or that the TonePrints are incompatible in general as they state in their support forum. It's simply because they want to sell the pedals and the bass amps support multiple effect types. So, it is legit that they did this. But, I just can't accept knowing my amp can do more than is being revealed to me. So, I am totally set on making a Toneprint editor for us TC bass amp owners out there. ;-)

tzohn likes this.
  3. iSteen

iSteen

Mar 29, 2012
    Denmark
    Well done CMartin, looking forward to hearing more about it.

4. iSteen

iSteen

Mar 29, 2012
    Denmark
    I actually wrote TC Electronic, and their answer was: You cannot dismount the back of the cabinet. The drivers are mounted from the front panel. Note: I am not sure you will get better result adding some foam inside the unit

5. CMartin

CMartin

May 12, 2017
    Germany
    Well, I would agree that you probably won't get better results at low volume by just adding density in the empty space behind the speaker. And they are right, the drivers are mounted to a piece of wood from the front. So, in order to get behind the speakers you would have to remove the front grill and then remove the speakers from the wood they are mounted to. Only then would you have access to the area behind the speakers.

6. tzohn

tzohn Guest

Apr 26, 2015
    I like what you're gonna do, both 1 & 2 :thumbsup:

7. CMartin

CMartin

May 12, 2017
    Germany
    iSteen likes this.