1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Electronics BH500 question (before I buy)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Direct Box Rox, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    I'm in the market to buy a used amp. I took my SWR Bass 350 to a repair shop today and he said a good estimate is going to be $200 to fix it. I'm not willing to put in $200 considering what they are worth used and the age of the amp. However, I found someone selling a TC Electronic BH500 amp for $200. The condition is listed as "Mint". Does anyone have their 2 cents to chime in? I'd be interested in hearing it before I actually pull the trigger. Thanks! :)

PS - whatever amp I end up getting is going to power a single Bag End 15" 8 ohm cab.

2. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Definitely a good idea to try it out as it is going to sound different from you SWR. The BH500 should be somewhat similar to the RH heads which I own both of and personally love, but don't know if you will. The SpectraComp Compressor and TubeTone are great at mimicking a tube head.

I personally like running the RH heads with the SpectraComp on at about 9:00 with no TubeTone and flat EQ on 1 channel and then the second channel has the EQ scooped a little with the SpectraComp at about 10:30ish and the TubeTone also at about 10:30ish for a different flavor on certain songs.

The 1st channel gives me a nice punchy/articulate thump while the 2nd channel is set to give me a little breakup with some bounce. The BH500 should accomplish that also. That amp is also 2.67 ohm safe. The back of the amp states 4 ohms, but TC has stated that it is 2.67 ohms safe and can run 3 8 ohm cabs. Of course they would prefer that you run 3 TC 8 ohm cabs, but you can run 3 of other manufacturers 8 ohm cabs as well.

Again, I like the TC heads a lot, but that doesn't mean you will. Give it a try and let us know what you think. Hope this helps.

Direct Box Rox likes this.
  3. That's a good price for that amp if it is good working order! I almost bought one a few months ago for about $100 more than the one your looking at. I liked the features and the way it sounded but it was just too big and bulky for my taste. I ended up with a BH550 that I found used here in the classifieds because it is so much smaller and lighter.

4. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    I appreciate it, thank you. I just wanted to hear in general if people were pleased or if there were any gripes. I should have mentioned that 99% time I play it (whatever I end up getting) my bass is going to be routed through a DG B3K. So I'm thinking 90%+ of what I hear coming out of the speaker is going to be the DG.

5. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    I hear ya. It does look kinda big compared to the D class family of amps that are available these days. Then again, back in the 90's I used to lug around an SVTII ;)

6. Steffen Thrana

Steffen Thrana

Dec 12, 2017
    I have the BH550. What is TubeTone? I can't find it in the sound library in the Toneprint app. How do you combine Spectracomp and TubeTone at the same channel?

EDIT: I got it now:thumbsup: A RH feature(knob) which I don't have on my bh550.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  7. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I just bought a new, BH550 a couple months ago. Really liking this amp alot. I also own a GK MB800 and Peavey MiniMega 1K and the TC-E BG250 15" combo. Those stay home alot now that I use the BH550 with a GK CX210 cab for my restaurant gigs. Just now ordered a Eden EX112 for those even lower volume gigs.

I am getting alot of use of the two,Tone Print knobs on the BH550 in a 3 pc band with cajon and acoustic guitarist. Let's me leave a couple effects pedals at home. Picked up the 3 button footswitch recently, helps alot. I do hope they offer more effects to download to the BH550 amp. But TC-E wanna sell more effects pedals too, so they prolly wont offer more for the BH amps.

Steffen Thrana likes this.
  8. This is an old thread, but I just picked up one of these, and for the record, it's like twice as loud as my PF500, and Bugera Veyron with my two K212s. Loud as hell, and it sounds amazing. So, whatever anybody is trash talking about the wattage hasn't played one. The truth is in the sound.