Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by AdmiralScreed, Oct 10, 2011.

1. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed

Oct 10, 2011
    Hello fellow bassists. My name is Marty, and I am new to the forums.
    I wanted to ask you all a question about the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto. Does anyone know if it has been transcribed for bass? I know that might seem kind of strange, because it would be extremely, extremely difficult to play on our instrument, and it's perfect the way it is on violin. Nevertheless, out of genuine curiosity, I wanted to know if anyone has ever tried playing it on bass and if the music has actually ever been transcribed.
    Thanks for your help. And I apologize if my question sounds really silly or ridiculous. I'm just a curious person and I like to try out new things. :)

2. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    Ever hear kids hack through this at school competitions? I'd rather hear THAT than anyone trying to play it on the bass. Good grief. Oh, the answer is no, I've never tried playing it on the bass. :)

3. irbassist

irbassist

Jun 17, 2009
    I've played the theme just from the violin part for fun one time. That was enough for me. The rest probably wouldn't fall well on the bass :/

I would like to see someone try though haha

4. James Judson

James Judson

Jul 16, 2009
    How do you spell Victor Wooten? If anyone can, he's the man. Maybe its above his head to, certainly is above mine.

5. I think the slow movement would sound great. I wouldn't touch the rest of it, though.
    I've often wished the Barber violin concerto would lie well, but some things just aren't meant to be.

6. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed

Oct 10, 2011
    I sent an email to Catalin Rotaru about this yesterday. I figured since he was an expert in transcribing solo works for bass, he would be the perfect person to do something like this. But, unfortunately, in his response to me he basically said that it would be almost impossible to play on bass without rewriting the entire piece, so it wasn't something he wanted to do.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I hope you don't all think I'm crazy just for asking something like this. I just love the Tchaik Violin Concerto, and if there is any way for it to be played on bass I am all for it.

Also, I will try and contact Victor Wooten. Maybe he'll be up to the task.

7. Sorry for bringing this post up from the dead, but just today I heard of a dude who did his own arrangement of the piece (im assuming he didnt do the entire thing because its kind of impossible, but he did the main themes) at hillbilly tea in louisville Kentucky. I wasn't there to see it myself but apparently it was amazing. I think his name is p. kellach waddle. I'm hoping to see a recording of that soon~~

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021