Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teacher in Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by fsanfili, Sep 22, 2005.

1. fsanfili

fsanfili

Feb 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Intermediate, mostly self-taught jazz bassist needs help with bowing and thumb position. Anyone on this board teach? Or know of someone accepting students?

2. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Try David Young of the LA Opera Orchestra.

3. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    Chistoph Luty. I don't know if he is taking more guys. He helped me out a lot. If your interested let me know and I'll ask him if it's OK to give you his e-mail address.

4. GirlBass

GirlBass

Jul 31, 2005
    New York
    He's at usc, don't know if he's taking students or not, but he's an amazing jazz player, teacher, AND is very very good at the classical technique- He was once principal of an Amsterdam symphony.
    makes his students learn solos, and teaches them good bowing and upper position technique.

5. fsanfili

fsanfili

Feb 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    If any of you know that they are accepting students (I assume John Clayton would be a bit too busy?), please send me the teacher's contact info: franko@gmail.com.

Thanks!

F.

6. Luther Hughes is in LA and teaches private/and @ Cal State Fullerton, you can find his web site and email him. Also Bruce Lett at Cal State Long Beach, you can google him for a phone number at the college. He lives in Malibu, and his touring often with Ernie Watts promoting Ernie's new album. Bruce is a great player and gentlemen. Good luck!

7. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    You could also email John Clayton and ask if he has any recommendations for other teachers in the area.

8. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    You can't go wrong with any of the USC bass faculty. They are fabulous players and teachers. Many of the other players that you would find out there learned from one of the four.

9. ClassicalDB

ClassicalDB Guest

Apr 9, 2005
    Beverly Hills
    i study with Dennis Trembly, principal bassist of the LA phil and AMAZING SOLOIST!! hes the coolest guy you will ever meet and I think he gives private lessons. You can go to the LA phil site and email him at his USC mailbox.

10. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I am at Idyllwild Arts Academy, and study with Chris Hanulik. He is a really great teacher, I don' think he has a very big studio though. I've heard great things about Denis as well.

11. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    Peter,

Have you been out to Aspen with Chris and if so are you going this year, for just the first session? I'm looking for a roomate. Drop me a PM or email.

12. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Justin,
    I am thinking of applying, don't know if I will get in. If you can room with a highschool roomate, and I get in, it sounds good to me.