Teacher in Richmond, VA?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Dharmabum, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Dharmabum

Jul 11, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Hey guys, I need some help. I can't seem to find a string bass teacher in Richmond (Midlothian, really, 15 min outside of Richmond), Virginia to replace mine that left. No stores offer upright lessons and nobody I talk to really knows where to go or who to call. If anyone knows someone around me that gives lessons, I would be very grateful.

If it matters, I've played electric for nine years, taught it for two, played upright for 1/2 a year, and can read, know theory, yadda yadda.
  2. enyapj18

Jul 23, 2005
    Asheville, NC
    When I lived Richmond I took lessons from Joseph Laplia (sp?). That was in 1992. He lived in Bon Aire. I don't remember his number. He did play for the Richmond Symphony so you may be able to track him down that way. Or maybe one the local high school orchestra teachers could get you his information.

Hope this helps
  3. Dharmabum

Jul 11, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I found lessons with Paul Bedell, principal bassist for the Richmond Symphony. He does one hour lessons at his house and just one lesson so far has COMPLETELY changed my playing, all for the better.

I teach electric bass and I'd like to think I'm pretty good at teaching, but Mr. Bedell's ability to transfer knowledge is astounding.