Teachers and lessons

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ryco, Aug 25, 2005.

1. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    When I started playing bass guitar I was mostly self taught. I started on double bass in elementary school orchestra so I knew the basic finger positions and where the notes were and how to read bass cleft - so learning bass guitar was that much easier.

When I got to high school and started playing bass guitar in stage band and jazz choir a lot of the music given to me was chord sheets instead of transcribed bass lines. I sought a bass teacher to show me what the different chord symbols meant and how to read them, what notes to play.

I found a guitar teacher who also taught bass at a local music store. I think this was a pure dumb luck move. Having someone play chords and let me hear the bass notes in the context of different chords proved useful. To hear the sound of roots, thirds, sevenths, and so forth while hearing the chord behind the note really helped my ear. To be able to hear what notes worked and what notes didn't work so well.

Later on I went to bass clinics held by pro bassists and they showed fingerings and techniques and tips. These were useful, but I'm really glad I started out learning by taking lessons with chordal instruments. The "standard" application of the bass is to play one note and when practicing alone it's oftentimes difficult to understand a line because the rest of the music ain't there.

I was wondering if anyone else out there learned bass this way and had a similar (or different) point of view. With school about to start this may be an idea/method for ppl wanting to join jazz band might want to consider.

OK - Thank you for letting me ramble --I now return you to your regular programming --- peace out