1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Teachers in Massachusetts?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by ianpirro, Aug 19, 2012.

1. ianpirro

ianpirro

Aug 8, 2012
    Hello,
    Not sure this is the right place for this, but I couldn't seem to find a better spot. I was wondering if any on on here either knows of or is a double bass teacher based in North Shore, MA. I am located in Amesbury and I am willing to drive. Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks.

2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Marty Ballou used to live in the Newburyport area.

3. ianpirro

ianpirro

Aug 8, 2012
    Yeah, it looks as though he is in the providence area currently. Thanks for the response though, I appreciate it.

4. mdcbass

mdcbass Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Seacoast of NH
    Bronek Suchanek in Milton

Bruce Gertz in Medford (I think)

David Landoni in Gloucester

5. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    I study with Wayne Roberts who lives in Holyoke, MA and Brooklyn, NY. Too far for you probably. Great teacher!

6. Hqubed

Hqubed Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Volker Nahrmann in Billerica. About 45 min from you.

7. BBSledge

BBSledge

Dec 6, 2011
    I can think of two: Mark Carlsen of The Set Up Shop in Tewksbury and Chuck Walker at The Musical Suite in Newburyport.

8. mdcbass

mdcbass Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Seacoast of NH
    Richard Appleman recently retired from Berklee. Maybe he has some time and the inclination to do private instruction

9. jimkeenan

jimkeenan

Aug 26, 2012
    Hi,

I teach out of the Yamaha School in Lexington and have a few openings for students.

You can check out more details here (or google YMSBoston and go to classes lesson/ bass).

Jim

10. ianpirro

ianpirro

Aug 8, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate the help guys. It's nice to see there are some good options in my area.

11. raypfeiffer

raypfeiffer Accounting Prof/Wannabe Professional Jazz Musician

Jan 3, 2012
    Fort Worth
    Lynn Lovell is in western MA, and she's the local official of the ISB, so she might be a good starting point to refer you to other teachers.

12. powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    +1 lnluvl@crocker.com

13. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
  14. Hi I'm in Western MA....I am looking for a teacher who can help me solo better, even though Ive been playing since 1971....HELP!

15. I can recommend a GREAT teacher in Northampton / Holyoke - Rudi Weeks. PM me if you would like his phone number.

You could also contact Lynn Lovell... I haven't studied with her but the players I know who have say she is one of THE authorities on the instrument.

16. powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    I recommend Wayne Roberts http://villamusic.net