1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Teachers: remote solutions?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SeanOnBass, May 9, 2017.

1. SeanOnBass

SeanOnBass

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, Bartolini, Genzler Amplification, GHS, Tsunami Cables, Sonic Nuance
    This is addressed to any teachers out there who offer remote lessons online, as well as to any students of those teachers. I'm curious to know if there are any platforms aside from Skype that people are having success with. Tell me your story!

davidhilton likes this.
  2. davidhilton

davidhilton Commercial User

Apr 13, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I use facetime cuz my phone rings to my mac. Also Ive used google hangouts. One thing I would like to know, is there any platform that you don't experience a delay? The one thing I dislike about online lessons is you can't play at the same time with the the student because there's a delay.
    www.basslessonslosangeles.com

Spfairchild likes this.
  3. SeanOnBass

SeanOnBass

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, Bartolini, Genzler Amplification, GHS, Tsunami Cables, Sonic Nuance
    Thanks for your input, David!

davidhilton likes this.
  4. davidhilton

davidhilton Commercial User

Apr 13, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
  5. Bondobass

Bondobass

Mar 14, 2014
    I took a lesson via Skype with Jamie Andreas; forget about the price. But she helped me with my technique so much that I took a second lesson with her:). Although video is somewhat grainy, I can’t say we had any issues as far as her conveying a point and me getting it visually, and her able to see and correct anything I was doing.

Spfairchild likes this.
  6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Frankly, I doubt there exists any platform that has a delay of zero; I'm not sure it is possible over the internet. And even if the delay is so short that you would barely detect it in conversation, it would probably till be too much to allow playing together. I think, unfortunately, that this is just an unavoidable limitation of remote lessons.

Spfairchild likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021