1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Teaching son. Rufus Reid?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Scottgun, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Way back in 198-, my bass teacher taught me with Rufus Reid's The Evolving Bassist. Now my 15 year-old son wants to learn. He plays tuba and can already read music quite well. I suspect Reid's book is still perfectly fine, but I wanted to see if anyone else had other recommendations. Thanks.

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Are you looking for a book just to teach him the bass or does he have a particular style of music in mind?

But to answer your question, The Evolving Bassist is still a great book.

IamGroot likes this.
  3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    The Evolving Bassist helped me learn to read. I thought it was very straightforward. I'm still not very good at it, but it's not Rufus' fault :).

4. ba55i5t

ba55i5t

May 24, 2006
    Yep absolutely great book to go through. I'd also check out Fingerboard Harmony by Gary Willis as well.

5. Once again, shameless plug for Mike Richmond's "Modern Walking Bass" when he gets to the intermediate level. And he can play those lines on tuba!!!.

6. White Beard

White Beard

Feb 12, 2013
    I started playing tuba, and moved onto bass guitar and then a year later to double bass, and The Evolving Bassist was the book that really got my arco playing down. I went all through high school and college with really bad bowing. I didn't get any type of good until I was 30. Totally recommended, especially if double bass is an option later on in his playing.