1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TecAmp Drivers??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Standalone, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    yeah, so I sure did something to my M212. Haven't started taking it apart to isolate the issue, but I had the master up on one of my GK's and met with a good old vintage crackle in the pot as I adjusted the gain.

That nice smell of magic smoke started coming off the cab a minute or two later... checked a few days later with another amp. Same thing. Something is fricaseed.

I bought it used for peanuts, so it's no great tragedy. Near as I can tell, there is none of that blown driver buzz-on-the-decay-of-the-note that I've heard with other drivers that are done. Hoping it's just the x-over, which I'd be happy bypassing; not a tweeter guy.

But I wanted to see what people knew about the drivers before I get to tinkering, since it certainly could be them. Are they proprietary? Custom Eminences? Or off-the-shelf drivers?

Yes, I know that I could ask the company, but I haven't been in a German class since I was zwolf jahre alt.

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    it should be "zwรถlf"...not"zwolf":D.

I'm sure they speak english.:)

3. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2006
    Bowen Island, CANADA
    Contact Glenn at Austin bass traders... he's the man! And they are the only Tecamp warranty/repair guys in the US I think. Good luck!

4. JimWasHere

JimWasHere

Sep 8, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I wonder if you fried the crossover?

5. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I really think/hope it was the x-over. I mean, it was already damaged (maybe the knob was removed intentionally?) and it is a very complicated x-over.

The cab is in well-used gigged-hard condition, though. And divers in old cabs are always suspect.

Amazing cab, though.