1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tech 21 Products - a little help please!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by richntiff, Mar 9, 2013.

1. My first foray into a DI/EQ/Etc. box has been a Hartke Bass Attack. Like the sound of the pedal, but I'm finding some limitations that are irritating - such as a big volume difference with the drive channel engaged that I can't dial out - and a noticeable amount of 'tone suck' when the pedal is in the signal chain vs. not in the signal chain. I'm big on 'simple' - I want my floor tuner (a Snark stomp tuner), a DI/EQ/Etc box, and at some point probably a Boss LMB-3 comp/limiter. Hoping to not get sucked into the Darkglass, etc vortex - who knows....

ANYWAYS... I'm beginning to consider the alternatives to the Hartke pedal - the M-80, and the horde of Tech 21 offerings. I went to their website and counted 8 different models of pedal!!! You read the descriptions and each one tells you it can do everything you want it to! :D So - I'm hoping for a helpful TB'er to be able to sort of summarize at least the following models. I've searched and can't really find the answer I'm looking for - I'm sorry, I know there a 10 bajillion threads that are similar already!! Oh - I play in an oldies/classic rock/blues cover band, but the music I really love is 80's-90's hard rock/grunge/rap metal (Rage, etc), and progressive stuff (Rush of course, Tool, etc). Hoping to put together a project playing that music soon...

So - Paradriver, Bass Driver, Classic, Bass Driver Deluxe, Bass Driver Programmable, then ad in the VT Bass and VT Bass Deluxe (which appears are both non-DI boxes) - and then the upcoming VT Bass DI... holy cow!!! I'm pretty sure I don't want the size of the Bass Driver Deluxe or Programmable - but is the tonal variation available worth the size jump? Like I said - I like simple :)

Which model does the TB community generally agree would fit my style best? I don't live in an area that I can go test drive products :rollno: Thanks a TON for any help!!!

2. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I have the first gen VT and I will be buried with that pedal.

3. EmptyCup

EmptyCup

Feb 25, 2013
    Nashville Area
    I have a BDDI programmable, great sounds and you can run it to FOH if your amp craps out. Built like a tank (in the USA)

4. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I always have my BDDI in my gig bag. I go ampless most gigs with a BP355 pedal. If it fails I know I have the BDDI. It has always produced a great sound for live work.

5. cchorney

cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    I have a BDDI Deluxe. It works great for my needs, but having read your post my concern with this box for you is that the overdrive when cranked does have an additional amount of volume that really can't be dialed out. So if you want a lot of grind, you might want to look possibly at one of the VT pedals. If just a little bit of overdrive is to your taste, then the BDDI may actually be the right one for you. I like the deluxe because of the range of presets, but if you just want on or off then the basic stomp version maybe the right one for you.

6. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    A few years ago when I was shopping for a compressor I narrowed it down to two, ordered both from MF, compared them, and returned one. The price of return shipping is well worth not second guessing your choice.

7. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I have had the following

Leeds (not my cup of tea)
    Oxford (awesome, but liked VT Bass v2 just a hair more)
    VT Bass v1 and v2 (both awesome, but preferred the more even taper of the V2 on the pots)
    Programmable bass driver deluxe (awesome, but too big so BDDI was in my near future)

I currently have (but will be selling one when i figure out which one i like more)

BDDI (really like this once you figure out how to not scoop the mids)
    Pardriver (just got it yesterday, and i think this may be the one i keep...)

I never have used the pedals for my dirt sound as i am not crazy about their dist. I set them to where they just start to OD, and then I run my agro pedal through them for my dirt.

I think both the VT bass or oxford will work well for your oldies stuff. I prefer the BDDI and pardriver for the rush type stuff.

The BDDI and Paradriver both get close enough (for me anyways) to the SVT sound (for oldies), though the VT bass is better if you are just after the Ampeg type sound. For me, i don't find the VT Bass as flexible as the BDDI or pardriver.

Good Luck!

8. Thanks everyone! I'm narrowing down to the BDDI in all likelihood. I currently play classic rock, but I like to put my modern rock tone in there if I can get away with it :)

What is the difference between the Paradriver and the BDDI? Seems like the Paradriver may be voiced differently to work with uprights, etc...

9. gidbass

Aug 5, 2009
    Although I have only had it a day, I find the Paradriver more flexible that then BDDI and i love the mid control on it.

Search the forums and read up on them, there is a ton of info on TB about both.

Good Luck!

10. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Para gives up the presence knob in favor of semi-parametric mid knobs. The Para can pretty much do everything the BDDI can do but gives control over the mids. It can also deliver more gain. Personally I never set the presence higher than 1 o'clock on my BDDI as it just adds too much hiss.

The deluxe versions allow you to store up to 6 presets and have an effects loop built in.

11. Thanks gidbass - hey let me know if you are going to sell your BDDI - I might be interested :)

12. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Let me suggest you consider something else other than the LMB-3. It colors highs with an artificial tone. Many like the pedal; I did not and prefer the MXR M87. Take a look here first: http://www.ovnilab.com/faq.shtml.

13. vade700

vade700

Jan 12, 2012
    In response to what cchorney said about the volume issue there is a way around this, yes turning up the drive on the pedal does raise volume but you can lower the level of it to taste. I do this on my programmable sansamp bddi to switch between my normal mid boost growl tone to a really fuzzy one. Hope you find what you're looking for

14. gidbass

Aug 5, 2009
    They show up in the TB classifieds pretty regularly, so when you are ready to pull the trigger, i doubt you'll have a problem finding one.

Either way, i'll probably list mine next week. I want to A/B it for a bit before i commit to selling it...;)

15. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    +1

I have two. One for general sound and one for fuzz.

16. cchorney

cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    If I dime the drive know then the level know doesn't have much room between silent and too loud. For my unit, anyway.

17. Do any of these models have an effects send with a blend knob?

18. gidbass

Aug 5, 2009
  19. ajcxnejx

ajcxnejx

Mar 12, 2013
    It has always produced a great sound for live work.[​IMG]