Tech 21 sansamp and xotic Blender

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Outer Sbass, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Outer Sbass

Outer Sbass

Mar 23, 2021
    Buffalo, NY
    New to Talkbass! Hope you guys can help. I've always just been a plug in and thump type player, and only recently started getting into effects.

I recently acquired a Tech-21 sansamp bass driver and an Xotic Blender pedal and I'm wondering where in my effects chain they would be best served, if wanted to use the sansamp as my main sound.

I also have a tuner and a chorus that I plan on keeping in my chain. (I use the EBS Billy Sheehan overdrive, also, but I'm sure that would be redundant now, yes?).

Thank you so much.

2. You can use a blender for anything where you think the sound you want it somewhere between the full effect and your normal bass tone, but with what you've described, you may have trouble finding a spot where you prefer the blend to the straight pedal.

And no, one overdrive tone does not render another drive tone redundant. Try running one into another or see if you like their tones seperately and then you can have a few drive tones at your disposal. You may prefer the one by itself, but it's not a foregone conclusion.

Outer Sbass likes this.
  3. Outer Sbass

Outer Sbass

Mar 23, 2021
    Buffalo, NY
    Sounds like I have some experimening to do. Thank you very much for your input!

4. LowRenzo

LowRenzo

Jul 3, 2014
    The Hague
    This, but I also want to elaborate that using a SansAmp BDDI as an 'amp in a box' and then using the drive into it is a very common setup, and can sound really good. It's what I've been doing for the past 9 years.

The SansAmp manual suggests to put the BDDI right after your bass, but depending on your needs it might be better to put later in the chain.

So you could go Tuner > Sheehan Drive > Chorus (possibly in the Xotic blend depending on the type of chorus) > SansAmp (set to a clean-ish sound).

This'll enable you to have a full signal to send to PA and give you the flexibility of being able to plug the SansAmp into anything and have a sound you agree with.

Happy experimenting!

Outer Sbass likes this.
  5. Outer Sbass

Outer Sbass

Mar 23, 2021
    Buffalo, NY

Thank you for this great info! I hope you'll forgive the ignorance, as I'm a long time player who's very inexperienced with pedals. I always thumbed my nose at pedals - and the Rolling Stones - but as I've gotten older, I'm starting to appreciate both a bit more

So what I'm seeing, just from these two replies, is that there's no wrong way to do this. Guess I'd better get to practice early!

Thanks to both of you!

cheapbasslovin and LowRenzo like this.
  6. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    The xotic blender is it's own boost and eq for whatever effect is in the loop...I've lowered highs and boosted lows to warm up a too hissy fuzz etc., but basically try everything. Right now I'm using one to isolate a low octave effect Melekko Downer into an Aphex (with big bottom). They are too radical so have to be kept isolated, even though the real miscreant is a preceding Brown Acid fuzz.

Outer Sbass likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021