1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tech 21Bass Fly Rig or Zoom B3N?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sanwin17, May 26, 2018.

1. sanwin17

sanwin17 Please mommy, you just gotta buy this amplifier. Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    Experiences, opinions, sound quality, ease of use or whatever might me helpful choosing between these two. Real world experience preferred. Not just general opinions about the company or brand. But feel free to rant if you must.
    Thanks

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Fly Rig might have a better sounding amp sim - I say this as I've only tried Zooms previous generation. It also has a DI out, but the other effects are not that great.

Zoom has tons more amps and FX, looper and drum machine and the headphone amp has an aux input. And it's cheaper!

Fly Rig might have the edge for stage, Zoom has the edge for personal practice.

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I use a Zoom MS-60B as my main pedal, often "ampless" so I'd go for the B3N as it's quite similar so no real learning curve for me. If you're not already familiar the Tech21 has WAY less learning curve - but can't do 1/10 of what the B3N can but quite possibly enough for you - I use about 6 of the pedal emulations in my MS-60B LOL.

sanwin17 likes this.
  4. sanwin17

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    I’m thinking more for a live setup. Band uses no amps. Everyone drummer too plugs a modeler direct to pa.

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I thought the VT Bass / Flyrig was much more usable than the amp sims in the B3 / B1on / MS-60B. There are tons of people happily using them live though, plus the amps in the B3n are a generation forward and reportedly much better then the previous gen. There aren't any decent demos of the B3n I've seen that go through the amps in detail though. You could very well find one in there that you prefer to Tech21.

I think the best solution would be to pick up a B3n, then find an old VT Bass pedal since they are fairly easy to find used. With any luck you should be able to get those for the same price as the Flyrig. If the Zoom wins on the amp sim front, sell the VT for the same price you paid. If you prefer the amp sim in the VT, either keep the pair and use them together, or trade for a Flyrig if you really need that more portable form factor.

wmmj and sanwin17 like this.
  6. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Well, the B3N doesn't have a DI out like the B3 did...

jfh2112 and sanwin17 like this.
  7. sanwin17

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    Excellent advice.

8. sanwin17

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    The older B3 had a balance out. Wonder why they left it out on the B3N?

9. NoElephant

NoElephant

Dec 14, 2016
    For what it's worth the Fly Rig is much easier to use.

They B3N can take a bit of fiddling to get what you want out of it. I found it pretty confusing at first. You can get a lot more sounds out of it though.

I'd pick the Fly Rig for gigging and the B3N for trying out effects?

jfh2112, sanwin17 and moonshinegtrs like this.
  10. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    B3n amp sims are great. To keep costs down - instead of putting a crappy di in - they left it out.

You need to use the soundman's di or provide one (although a lot of modern boards have a couple of high impedance inputs these days).

sanwin17 and wmmj like this.
  11. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    If your basses are active, don't go with the Fly Rig. I clipped it like no other.

BluesWalker, sanwin17 and JeffJ2112 like this.
  12. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Henretta Six Speed.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    +1,000,000

The reason to get a B3n is you need to use lots of different effects. Tweaking it on stage is a nightmare because it uses menus. The Fly Rig operates more like an actual amplifier.

sanwin17 and moonshinegtrs like this.
  14. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Not really that hard actually.
    You can use it in patch mode to bring up presets or in pedal mode which will show 4 of your effects each with 4 knobs.
    Almost as simple as analogue.

sanwin17 likes this.
  15. JeffJ2112

JeffJ2112 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    The Sansamp part of the Flyrig is great!

The rest of it, not so much.

sanwin17 likes this.
  16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Since most of the blocks have multiple pages of parameters (i.e. there are more than 4 in almost all cases) it's a lot fussier to work with under the gun...I stand by my opinion.

Moosehead1966, sanwin17 and JeffC23 like this.
  17. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    Though I've never used either the fly rig or B3n, I have used a VT bass pedal, a Zoom ms60b, and a b2 pedal. If I was in your place, here's what I would do...

I'd get a VT bass deluxe and a zoom ms60b to use in the effects loop. That would give you great amp sim technology with a DI, plus a wide variety of effects. Best of both worlds, in my opinion. You can turn off the loop and scroll through your effect patches, then kick on the loop when you get to what you want.

18. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    YMMV. My active does just fine.

I echo the above - BFR feels better as a live rig to me. But don't depend on it for coloring. It's at its best when you're just using the basics - SansAmp, bit of comp, tuner. Chorus is useable, distortion/octaver is... iffy.

jfh2112 and sanwin17 like this.
  19. Vt bass DI or VT bass deluxe > BFR

ThrewSilver and sanwin17 like this.
  20. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    You've obviously never used one. There are quite a few on the amp side that have 8 parameters and as such take 2 blocks - there are never any pages or menus to scroll through at the effect level.

There are global settings for master volume which is a set it and forget it setting and there is a menu for adding / removing and changing order of effects - I would argue it's easier than analogue pedals in that regard.

I like my analogue stuff better in some cases but the B3N is crazy simple to use. The Fly rig more so if you like the effects and how they are set up. The Sans Amp is great but try to cop a trace elliot or SWR or Markbass or B15 or EBS out of it. The B3N does all of that plus a pretty good SVT.

Once your amp is set up you would leave it alone. That leaves 4 blocks for a variety of effects. (amp usually uses 2 and speaker emulation usually uses 1)

outoftune and sanwin17 like this.