1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Technical question about English Muff'n

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by osciphex, Aug 13, 2007.

1. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    I've heard that the english muff'n's tubes take a little while to warm up after the unit is turned on. How long does this typically take? Also, are the tubes only "warmed up" when the effect is engaged? Or do they stay "warmed" even when the effect is plugged in but in bypass mode?

Is the "warm up" time slow enough that you're unable to quickly switch the effect on without several seconds of strange tone?

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I've never noticed any "warm-up" time with my Muff'n.

3. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    A preamp tube in a pedal should only take a few seconds to warm up. They'll stay on as long as power is connected.

4. asherthemachine

asherthemachine

Sep 22, 2006
    ive never noticed it with mine either.

5. If they glow, they're warm.

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    What about those infamous amber light bulbs behind some really cheap tube pedals? :ninja:

7. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    I thought of another question, is the EQ on the Muff'n active(boost or cut) or passive(cut only)?

8. Light bulbs get warm too! :p

Personally I prefer the sound of halogens, but all you get these days is tungsten filaments, what a rip!

9. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    You mean like the English Muff'n? :) I think it's bulb is actually clear.
    The EHX tube pedals run at high voltage. They should do some glowing on their own. It's usually the ones that run on 12V that have the lighting.

10. Charm Bracelet

Charm Bracelet

Apr 29, 2007
    Tube filaments only run at 6.3 or 12.6 volts and those are what cause the glowing regardless of what voltage the rest of the tube is running at.

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's not only cheap pedals that have "enhanced lighting". The T-Rex Squeezer is what, $400, and it has a stupid orange LED in the base of the tube. The EHX Black Finger isn't so cheap either. I really think manufacturers who do that should quit faking the tube circuit and just put a regular appliance light bulb in there instead of a tube. It will get very warm! And that's what tubes do, right, they warm things up? :ninja:

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I believe the EBS tube pedal also uses an amber bulb below the tubes.

13. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    Wow, I was not aware of the bulbs/LEDs... how tremendously cheesy of them... However, the sound of the pedal is what counts; if I need to have goofy looking light bulbs so be it.

14. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Of course, the smart thing to do would be to repace the bulb with a blue bulb since we all know blue light makes pedals sound better :D

15. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Just to clarify... The English Muff'n doesn't use light bulbs behind the tubes...

If there's any glowing, it's coming from the tubes...

16. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    It may take a couple seconds after initially powering up the pedal, but that's it. Other than that tube pedals function like other pedals, the tubes are only used for the clipping stage so they'll have a different, considered by many to be more musical, distortion character. It's not the same as having a distorted tube amp, which are run at much higher voltages, so to a lot of tube purists tube pedals won't do the trick, although I've had some great sounding tube driven pedals.

17. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    What does the lamp next to the tubes in the schematic do then?

18. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The EH tube pedals do run at much higher voltage than the majority of tube pedals.

19. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Do they? Do you know offhand what voltage? I'm interested in the English Muff'n though I've just stayed away from it because it would be inconvenient to put on my pedalboard.

20. Charm Bracelet

Charm Bracelet

Apr 29, 2007
    They're running at up to 180 volts or so.