Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Technique for RHCP...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Ok... So the Red Hot Chili Peppers are cool and i love their song "Around the World" but i dont get what tech. they are using on it...

I know he has a distorter on, and i have the tabs for it and stuff so i know the notes, but the intro is almost like a popping but im not sure how to do that. And if it a popping, then i cant pop that fast and im not sure where to go from here. So could someone give me some pointers on how to drill this song?

-thx

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    First, a few things to consider:

1. Flea has extremely low action, thus when he plucks normally he gets some buzz in his tone; he hard plucks the intro to get the grindy/buzzy sound. Combined with the graphite neck of his bass gives his a thinner, more defined tone.
    2. He used a Boss ODB3 for the intro, which is extremely processed/digital/harsh sounding.

Use any extreme distortion combined with hard plucking to nail that sound.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'd also suggest, perhaps, trying a pick :p seriously, it helps.

Ray

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Fingerstyle all the way through. He might palm mute the chorus I'm not sure. But like stated earlier, low action, and he digs in like a mad man. Bad technique, but it sounds cool. :)

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Eh, I like playing it with a pick heh....

Ray

6. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Ditto fingers and ditto plucking hard. I used to have one of those little Zoom effects pedals and it had a factory preset that pretty much nailed the intro sound (the riff in "E"). Balls-to-the-wall distortion and compressed to the max. Maybe it was called "fuzz".??? On the verse (in G - without the distortion) I've noticed that you also really have to dig in hard to make it sound right. When I try to relax like I normally do it doesn't quite sound right. I guess that's what makes Flea Flea - that funk/punk approach.

-Scot

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I play it with a boss odb-3 and my godin has the same action idea as flea's bass..when i play hard or by the neck pickup i get that growly buzz so it sounds funky/like popping almost, hence the intro.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm just talking about the way Flea does it. Hey whatever sounds good, do it.

9. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Yup its just diggin hard with low action

10. I found that using a distortion pedal works well. Its not what he does, but to me it sounds wicked, at least as good as the real thing, and it is much easier to get that sound.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What do you mean its not what he does? Hes using distortion for the intro.

12. thx... ill give it a new try :p

13. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Ya hes uses the Boss OD3 for the recording but live sometimes he plays it clean

14. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    What settings do you use on the ODB3 ?

Also, Flea uses a pick on songs like Fortune Faded and The Zephyr Song.
    I think the phraise I'm looking for is 'horses for courses'

15. shwan81

shwan81

Feb 19, 2004
    Does he pick that little solo/fill part he has in the song too? it at about 2:14 into the song. i always thought that part sounded a little different, but i'm not sure how he does that.

16. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    He did when I saw them recently

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Settings.. if i recall correctly, level is about at 12 o clock, then the lows are at 2 o clock and highs at 1 ... gain is probably at 9 o clock (not very high) and level of OD is near dry. I dont use too much dist. , just enough.

18. WIth my GB and my EBS Fafner i can nail that sound perfectly without any pedals...just turn the drive knob up to half..

pan both pickups to center and dig in hard between the pickups...ihave my action stoopidly low as well cause i like the sound...

Digging in at this point on the string will help.. there is no slapping in around the world...

the riff is easy... just thing e major scale and ur there :)...

19. 1. fingerstyle
    2. really dig in
    3. play on bridge pickup
    4. from what ive heard flea pretty much boosts bass and treb all the way while dialing the mids almost completely out

20. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    You must mean the E minor pentatonic scale: E,G,A,B,D.

-Scot