Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tedious Q about Cubase SE

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by thwackless, Apr 11, 2004.

1. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Any SE users out here? Am considering a purchase since it's upgradeable to other versions. The Q is, how many bands of eq are available on SE? And do you find it a good basic and flexible program even with the limitations?

Thanks for your time,

Rog.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think it's 4-band parametric, like in SX, but you can use any DX or VST plugin for additional FX.

3. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Hmmm.. And this is an upgradeable program... sounds like a nice ramp into the Cubase idea. 4-band EQ sounds "not-chincey" to me. Do you use Cubase, and if so, how do you rate it with other apps you've used- I ask realizing the subjective nature of my question...

I have a Tascam US-428, and it came with the Cubasis 'bundle'. I ran a tune (from a cassette I'd done a while back) into the program, and noticed after some tweaking that the EQ sounded more lively than the EQ I've been using from Cool Edit Pro 2.0! Does this sound like it makes sense to you; can an EQ feature vary in quality from one app to another, the way different outboard analog units can vary? Or did I make this up?... :D !

I'm enjoying using Cool Edit; I like the layout, it seems easy (now...), and I'm not at this point doing anything with MIDI. Cubase does appear to look a bit more like an analog mixer, however, which seems 'normal' (help I'm doing digital), and the automation appears more intuitive: The "spline" thing (envelopes) in Cool Edit is pretty time-consuming...

What's your set-up (briefly), if you don't mind? And thanks for your time!

Rog.