1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me what Cab to buy!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkyTalkBass, Mar 10, 2009.

1. I've been faffing around for weeks reading reviews and opinions here on TB its time for me to just make a decision!

The cab will be for a LMII. At the moment I play a bit of post rock, stoner rock, and slow chilled dub, but looking for this to be pretty versatile as it will be my main rig.

I'm looking to downsize to something portable as I'm old and tired etc etc, so am siding with a modular setup or a single 4ohm neo cab.

Here's my choices for today with some pros/cons....

SOMEONE TELL MY WHAT TO BUY SO I CAN STOP THIS PROCRASTINATING!!! :D

Eden 2x112XLT (1 new, 1 used)
    Pros - Price for the pair OK, one cab new, good rock sound?, looks good, can test the used cab. local so easy to buy. I think the tone will suit me. Modular.
    Cons - one cab 2nd hand. Possibly not enough volume.

Bergantino 2xAE112 new
    Pros - New. Its a Berg! Matches very well with LMII. Can try out the cabs and return if not suitable (minus shipping expense). Modular.
    Cons - Price and price - going well over budget so will have to be good to justify it (to the wife). Possibly not enough volume for the Stoner Rock stuff. Possibly too clean? Can't test, buying blind but can return.

Pros - New, well regarded, affordable, cool colour tolex, light.
    Cons - Very difficult for me to try out so will probably be buying blind. Not currently available (in my colour!) have to wait for stock from USA. Not modular

Bergantino 2xHS210 used
    Pros - Its a Berg! Opinions says its well matched to the LMII, Modular. Can audition the cabs. Price OK
    Cons - 2nd hand and the guy is getting rid of them as he needs more volume, so possibly thrashed. Not as cheap as I'd like for 2nd hand too ($700 v $900 new each) Won't be able to get there for a couple of weeks.

SWR Goliath III new
    Pros - New. Affordable. Good punchy all round cab. Looks hard! lol
    Cons - Heavy, not modular. Only on the list as a backup mostly being an available 4ohm cab that I like.

2. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Just to make your life more complicated, why not throw the Accugroove Tri210L (it's 4 ohms) into the mix? I've got the Tri112L (8 ohms) that I use with a Markbass F1 head and it is LOUD! I've never had to push it past like 9 or 10 o'clock, and play with a really loud prog metal band.

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    4 ohm Schroeder. Take your pick.
    1212L
    1215L
    1515L

40-50 lbs total.

/thread

4. They look good. Just have to find out who sells them in Australia!

5. Found the Aussie distributor. The 1212L would be just right for me but the price is up there with the Bergantinos in the budget breaking bracket.

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  7. lol - thanks mate

8. hyp.spec

hyp.spec

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    My vote's on the avatars...

You could order up 2 SB112's. They'd be small enough and modular enough for ya...

9. Hi Mate,

I have a Bergantino AE112 and am contemplating a second one for a nice portable stack that can handle loud gigs if need be. Sounds great with my LMII. A very LOUD, FULL, and Balanced sound. For reherasals one is enough but for the gigs 2 are awesome.

I've tried Eden XLT112 very harsh and boxy, but does get pretty loud.

Tried Schroeders, they're good but too much of their own colour which can work sometimes and can be frustrating at others times if you need to dial that low mid heavy sound out, which is part of it's voicing. Not a balanced even sound like what the Bergs display.

You really can't go wrong with the Bergs and the Aussie dealer is an excellent bloke to deal with. BTW, if you can swing a good deal for a pair of used HS210s well you won't be sorry with those, but I would try and knock off a bit more if you can get a new one for $900!

10. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    not sure about the the bergantino stuff but I don't think the Eden cabs are what you are looking for. too bright for stonerrock. I would recommend an ampeg 210 and 115, or the 410he. In my opinion the HE cabs are the best sound for rock. They may not sound good on their own but in a full band setting with fuzzy guitars, nothing sits in the mix like an ampeg. but like i said i have yet to try any bergantino cabs. As for the avatar i have tried the 212 Neo, and was not all that impressed. Its OK but it sounded a little thin to my ears. I have never been impressed by the SWR stuff, again for the sound you are looking for I think they will leave you wanting more, every time i have tried SWR the cabs seem to be very quiet, an not nearly as loud as a similar cab by different makers. And they don't really give you that old school thump.

11. Funnily Avatar 112s are more expensive than the Bergs and Edens!

12. Yeah been emailing George alot and he's offered me some very resonable deals, I am very tempted, but being wary of how much I'm spending.

Been working on the guy for price for the 2nd hand Bergs, but he's not budging, I think the same really, the extra $200 for new would be worth it.

13. Thanks mate. Seen a few on ebay, nothing local yet. My only reservation with the 410HE is that its 8ohm and all opinions on the LMII are to go 4ohm, a 410HLF would be great, although being lazy here, they're heavy!!

14. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    how about one 410he and one 210HE, now you are at 4ohms and a modular rig that can give you quite a bit of volume...

15. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington DC
    I'd also consider Mesa Powerhouse 1x12s, or even a 1x15. Mesa's build quality is awesome, and the 1x15 is pretty portable. I tried it out vs. a Berg HT322 and it easily kept up. Its a pretty light 72 lbs, which is 23 lbs less than the Berg. It should also be cheaper than any of the other options you listed except for the Avatar. I haven't tried the 1x12s, but I'm sure they're great as well.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Cabs/PowerhouseCABS/PHbass1x12-LG.htm

16. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington DC
    ...Also, why not consider the Avatar 1x12s? That'd give you the best portability, scalability, and would probably also be the cheapest.

17. Fajah

Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    When I was looking at a new rig last year, I could have bought two Avatar 112 cabs for about the price of one AE112. Maybe I would have if I was able to try them out, but that wasn't possible at the time. I settled eventually on the 2 AE112's I now have because in the end, they were EXACTLY what I was looking for in a rig (along with my LMII) without having to add or replace anything for a very long time. Sure, it's expensive and much more than I wanted to spend, but I glad I made the investment.

There's nothing like walking into a gig carrying a 6 lb amp, two 31 lb cabs, and having oodles of volume and tone. In fact, I don't think I'll ever have a playing situation where I'll need the volume that this rig could potentially generate. And for just a casual jam or small gig....LMII in goes in my backpack, bass in one hand, one Berggy in the other.....easy. My 52 year old back loves me for it. :)

Go for the Berg's, be happy, and call it a day.

18. If the Avatar's were as cheap here I'd snap them up in a shot! Shipping these things around the world must really even out the prices.

Great advice! :)

19. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    imho, and i've owned em both, schroeders or bergantino's for your application. both bergs you are considering are excellent choices, and i second Marley's Ghost's suggestion of a 1212L.

20. TalkBass you SUCK!!!! :)

I've started investigating the Schroeder 1212L and its equivalent in price to 2 x Berg AE112s and from what I've read so far it sounds like it has a big sound.

So now I'm Schroeder V Berg.. (more procrastinating..) any opinions? Is one 'louder' than the other?