Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Temperature zones for safe playing

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by teachbass, Jan 4, 2005.

1. teachbass

teachbass

Dec 13, 2004
    Hi guys,

I have a room that has a humidifier running and keeping it at about 48 percent. The temperature is hovering around 62-68 degrees due to the amount of windows and cold outside. Is that a safe temperature zone or should I move everything to a warmer room?

Thanks for help. I couln't find any links dealing with Temperatue specifically.

Glen :help:

2. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    If I remember correctly, last time I went to Mike Shank's the humidity was 50%, and the temp was in the low 60s.

3. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    You're definitely safe. When you get below 35%, start getting a little nervous.

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Jason's right on about this. You are in Nebrasksa, in the dead of winter. Moving your bass from a %50 humidity room to a warm concert hall, club, or other forced-air central heating system (that is more like %20-%30 humidity) can cause wood to crack and spruce braces to bow. The transition from high to low humidity should be avoided whenever possible. Keep your place around %40 humidity this time of year, and the difference won't be as extreme.

Temperature wise, 62-68 degrees is fine. If the bass is too cold to play for your hands, then increase the temp.

5. teachbass

teachbass

Dec 13, 2004
    Thanks for all of the help guys. It is interesting to watch the digital hygrometer readouts. Things are in a constant state of fluxuation. That is Nebraska for you though.

Take care,

Glen

6. I had a furnace humidier installed for this reason and I still can't get the place to 40% in this weather. Right now i have a small humidifier in the room as well and I'm still only pulling 35%

I would think you'd want to keep it at the lowest safe humidity, say 36-37%? So it' less of a shock when moving it around.