1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ten years with my bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Dec 6, 2011.

1. The exact date is lost to history, but sometime in late 2001 I got my first good bass, a Reverend Rumblefish XL. Here we are at our first meeting, I a college sophomore (dig that posh dorm room) and it a lovely new instrument.

zZ6Ub.

A lot of you (no judgment here) are bass polygamists in a big way, but for me this bass has been number one in my heart from the start. Since then I've never played a bass and thought "I wish I owned this one instead." At best I've thought "wow, this is a really nice bass," then got home, played mine, and said "oh yeah, this is better." I do have a number two, but tellingly, it's just a five-string version of the same, which I purchased years later as the last of them made were being sold off.

AoOud.

So this bass has seen a lot of action, through four or five bands and a good many gigs and countless rehearsals. I've made a couple of small mods over the years (tuners, straplocks) and it could stand a couple more (due for a new jack, I think) but I have no plans to give it a rest. We suit each other, I think. It's a little offbeat, which is usually how I see myself. We're both small and light. And hey, we just look right together.

6AcBg.

But when it comes right down to it, I love it for its delightfully aggressive and punchy, yet still old-school sound, and for THEE greatest neck I can imagine. Happy anniversary baby!

4Vcaa.

And may all of you find a bass you dig just as much!

2. They made those in Detroit. I agree about them having a great neck. Wish I would have bought one!!!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I envy bassists who have a relationship with that one special bass. I never did and still don't. I have it with my Upton Hawkes upright, but not with an electric. Even though I had only a 76 Precision for a long time, I never was quite satisfied with it and seem to always be tweaking it.

4. I think they go up for sale from time to time on this very board... check the fan club thread

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice!
    I had a v/v/t version of that, and flipped it.
    (Still have my Rev PJ, and BH5)

The 5L pickup spacing gives it a unique voicing that you'll either love or hate, and I ultimately flipped mine.

Your four string Rev JJ with XL switching rocks, I'd bet.

6. Sweet! Great story.
    I've had my blue/rosewood Rumblefish for 13+ years now, including a two-month hiatus this past fall where I sold it and then bought it right back. I don't play 4-string anymore, but that bass is staying put. Like you said, it has a sound all its own and playability is second to none.

7. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Polygamist here…

I do really like them, but they are just instruments.

:)

8. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Get a room! Er....I mean an instrument closet!....er, I mean....
    All kidding aside, that's really cool! Reverends are great basses-enjoy your longterm relationship.
    (I've got too many of the suckers-does that mean I have to change my Facebook status to "It's complicated"?)

9. Hell,I envy you guys that go out and buy/trade basses on a whim!! I just can't bring myself to go and add to my stable. BTW,I've been with my latest purchase for 14+ years.

10. makkE

makkE

Jan 19, 2010
    Normandie, France
    Congrats on your 10th :D

Usually, I am far from materialistic, but when it comes to instruments, I can fully understand. It's just more than a piece of matter.

I haven't found mine yet, but I will find it soon.

11. Congrats on the 10 year mark. I bet you and the bass have had some good memories over the years.

12. I actually like the 5L tone better for finger style. Super tight. The XL is more of a rocker and sounds great with a pick.

13. rkingly

rkingly "Playing Reverend Basses on a Regular Basis"

Sep 8, 2007
    Virginia
    Endorsing Artist: Reverend Guitars
    Big fan of both the XL & especially the 5L.
    Love this story and I've been full time on Reverends since scoring my 1st 5L in 2009.

Attached Files: