1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tendonitis

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PaulyJK, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Well, I went to the doctor last week and I have tendinitis in both my wrists/forearms. I've stopped playing bass since and haven't notice much difference, yet. I'm not getting impatient (yet), but other than icing I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how to get my wrists better?

In the mean time, I guess it's just ear training for me.

Edit: Forgot I bought wrist braces for when I sleep, sit around the house and they seem to help, too.

2. RosieB

RosieB

Feb 10, 2009
    I went to an orthopedist who specializes in hands. After a series of cortisone shots in both hands, I've been pain-free for a year and a half now. No wrist braces in that time at all. Playing in the braces is darn near impossible! Before that, though, I slept with them on every night. It seemed to reduce the number and intensity of flare-ups. Good luck!

3. I just went through a horrible bout of tendonitis. I rested, iced it and have been rubbing in emu oil and cannabis balm for two weeks now. The pain and swelling are gone and I am playing about 2 hours pr night. The emu oil is really helping, check that out. The cannabis balm I make myself for my wifes ailments and decided to try that. Also, I have been icing after my practice sessions to keep any swelling down.

4. examine both your hands and how you play the bass, thumb behind neck, plucking hand wrist straight, less bends in limbs the less the tendons need to go around corners...plus pick v fingers, change style if you can....

also shorter session with correct warm ups....

there are threads on this on TB

5. It depends on what is causing it and how long it's been a issue.

If it's a chronic inflamation, then a shot might help.

If it's accute, then you've probably just over done something. Rest them up with only light exercise and stretching.

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

What brought the tendinitis on? Intense practicing? Or, is it an unknown?

7. It started by playing Guitar Hero :scowl: a year or two ago. Playing bass makes it worse (especially on the low end of the neck on my left and while slapping with my right). Over time it has gotten worse and I finally took the initiative to see a doctor.

Thanks for the suggestions, too.

8. Baer

Baer

Jul 8, 2008
    Do you spend much time at a computer every day? If so, might that be a source of the problem?

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Any singular activity, whether it be recreation or work, especially repetitive motions should be moderated into smaller blocks of time.