1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Terrible experiences meeting any bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fleabee, May 10, 2006.

1. Just curious if anyone had any terrible experiences meeting any popular bassists...what happened?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've been fortunate in that the few great musicians I have met have all been quite nice. Generally, most accomplished people in any field are nice. It's the wannabes who are often jerks.

3. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I've met a couple of guys that were less than warm. I really don't want to name names, though, because 1. lots of people on this board tend to know people, and 2. you never know what else was happening outside of your brief encounter that soured the experience.

4. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Bassists are usually the most outgoing and overall nice people in bands. When I see shows they're the most likely to be out and about and willing to talk to fans.

5. I heard wimbish was a really cool cat and definately wooten.

6. Eh, there are circumstances to every meeting in my opinion.

7. I had a non-bassist related experience in a small elevator with Wayne Gretsky about 5 years ago. I farted and he didnt laugh lol.

8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I once met jazz great Charlie Biddle a few years before he passed on. My dad and I was talking to him during a break at one of his gigs, and my dad happened to mention that I play bass "guitar".... well, apparently Mr. Biddle does not think too kindly of the bass guitar, and said something to the effect of "you better stay away from me, boy..."

I later approached him after his gig, as this had upset me quite a bit. I asked him what we said to upset him, and he apologized. Apparently, he feels strongly that the electric bass has taken away from the standard upright bass he has loved for so many years, but he did not mean to be rude to me. He then offered to let me try to play his bass, and he gave me a quick lesson. So it turned out to be o.k.!

9. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Lonnie Plaxico, Percy Heath, Mark Egan were great..others I have met have been nice...but in college, a certain very famous bass player who played in a certain really big power trio, usually with short scale Gibsons, came to play. He was more interested in the cases of Heinekin he requested being cold and ready. The drummer, however, a certain gentleman of Panamanian background, was very friendly and accomodating.

10. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I hate when that happens!

11. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I worked a YES tour back in the 70's and Chris Squire wasn't exactly warm to those wanting to meet him. Steve Howe was a real quiet guy, but once you he got to know you he was real cool.

The nicest guy I have met was Marcus Miller. I got a Fender MM4 bass and contacted him to get it autographed. I got to meet him at his studio, he showed me around and then we A/B my new MM4 to his the original. He played both basses and slapped the hell outa my MM4. If I don't get the right sound playing a Marcus tune, I know it me and not the bass that's the problem.

12. After I sold all my gear, to focus on school, found myself in NYC working my fiorst job and had a chance to see Jaco. On stage of course, not like at a party. Dissappointing since he was stoned. I was sad.

13. I didn't know Ginger Baker was Panamanian. :D

14. thats what i was thinking :)

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I can't think of who it he's talking about. Michael Anthony? Can't be, Alex Van Halen isn't from Panama...any ideas?

16. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    very famous power trio, bassist plays short scale gibsons.. i can't think of anything that fits besides cream

17. not really a popular bassist but my first encounter with a bass player was... well... not a good impression on bass players.

the other to guys in my band at the time were setting **** up and in the practice room accross the hall (was at a school) was another band and when I was talking to their bass player he was a total **** to me. Although he had been playing for 3 years as opposed to my 3 weeks. Soured me on other bassists (didnt really know any) but after I got to know other bass players in my school I knew most bass players were awsome.

18. I find bassists cooler that the average musician population.

But I;m biased! :bassist:

19. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    i had 2 bad encounters :

1. 1998 : i was in new york with my brother in law and my dad, and my brother in law is a bassplayer as well and was a big fan of patitucci. so we bought tickets to see his acoustic jazz show (with adam rogers) after the show we went to get his autograph (he was sitting with his friends/family) and told him we're from israel and big fans etc. etc. and he was all :"well...good for u" in a cynic tone (not in the way dave letterman says it) sketched something on the paper and went to talk to his friends. that sketch was nothing like his original autograph - it was just a sketch.
    i must say for the record that we came relaxed , acted with courtesy and we haven't told him the story of our lives or something - not like some crazy fans that want a piece of his shirt.

2. 1997 : after one of the best shows i've seen in my life - the brecker brothers (in the red sea jazz festival), i saw couple of young bassplayers asking for autographs from james genus while he was folding his rack - and he was all nice and a warm guy i thought to myself i should ask from scott ambush at the concert the day after.
    so after the spyro gyra concert couple of young jazz fans called the guys names while they were waiting for their ride backstage - doing nothing. and i saw some guy calling scott and he just looked for a minute then igonerd him totaly until the keyboard player told them let's wait in a quiet place and they all went.

besides that, all the bassplayers i met were the nicest people ever : lincolen goines, jeff berlin and a couple more.

20. i work with an ex-pohm (for those of you who dont know what i mean its a prisoner of her majesty or an englishman) he was living near london when the police were still gaining popularity. The police played a gig at a club he used to frequent. One of his mates at the club worked on the door and was black. after a police gig his friend asked sting if he would sign his album. sting pushed past and said "f#*k of you black c&@t".