1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

testing a few designs/prototypes help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jordan_frerichs, Apr 21, 2009.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    first up is what i am calling the "wee bass" i thought my first one looked a little big, plus, it was not set for balance. This one is made to balance well, according to the scale, and is about 12" wide. What are your thoughts? (yes, i know my hair is green) shape looks a little rough, because i haven't final sanded it yet.
    2ic5n2q.

12" ruler next to the template
    20ppvna.

another thing i am thinking on, is a wooden bridge. here are 2 designs for a 2 piece acoustic style The thing is, i want to use it with the wee bass shape on a fretless build, but the bass is set to be inline with a smaller, metal bridge, so i might have to change a thing or 2 (maybe lessen the scale slightly) The body will be walnut, neck will be qs cherry, and the fb/bridge will be bloodwood or bocote (which would you go with, looks wise? wich is more suited for a fretless, like strength/density/resistance to denting?)
    anyway, here are the rough sketches. the parts will be rounded, witch is hard to tell in a 2-d sketch
    166iuch.
    infl94.

final thing i want an opinion on, is the (possible) headstock for my 8 string bass. it is a little out of the ordinary because, before i decided to make it an 8 string, i decided i wanted clover style tuners, and the large size of them created an obsticle in design. the dips are where the guitar tuners will go (this seemed the only sensible way to get correct string allignment). it is a rough cut that i need to clean up. i had to use a router freehanded to do the rough cutting.
    33otp3k.

2. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    bump

3. hmm, the body looks a tad small, looks like the upper part could use more meat, and I am not liking the bottom horn, it is a bit hmm how can I say this? phallic :bag: with a mushroom head....
    I guess you are trying to have an original design but I like your other designs better..

4. PS you dropped something on your sock :eyebrow:

5. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    I was thinking it was a bit small. I will be doing some design changes on paper. the lower horn stays. it looks a little weird flat, but it will be carved into a scroll/ball. It is the same lower horn from my other 2, and it is my favorate detail.

I am mainly looking for thoughts/ideas on the wooden bridge system, and whether the fretless fb and wooden bridge should be bloodwood, or bocote. that is a hard one!