1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Testing basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tom once dead, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Has anyone ever taken a bass from a store to test in a live setting, then bring it back the next day. I went to a local store the other day to try out some basses. I liked the feel of the G&L L2500. But I didn't really get to hear its proper tone and I would like to see what its like in a live setting.

The guy when I first asked to play on it seemed really paranoid, Telling me I better take My cuffs off (which I do anyway when playing other basses). But seemed to relax a bit after I started playing (I'm no begginer).

What does everyone think about taking a bass to a gig, then taking it back.

2. De Gier Guitars

De Gier Guitars

Sep 5, 2008
    Schiedam, The Netherlands
    Repairs, setups, pr & marketing for DeGier Guitars.
    I think it depends on the person asking. If you're serious about buying the instrument and are reliable it would be okay, maybe with a deposit.. in case of damage you'd have to buy it or something.

It's something that happens here quite often that people ask if they can lend an instrument. Sometimes it's okay, sometimes it's not. It depends on if we know the person or not and if he/she is really serious..

3. I dont have the money yet, So Best I dont run the risk.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    When I managed a store, we did that. Of course we had to protect ourselves so it wasn't a carte-blanche thing available to anyone. But, being that the owner and I were gigging musicians, we knew that the best way to test some gear was at a gig or rehearsal. Play the bass through your amp with your guitarist, drummer, etc. That's where you're going to be using it.

jte

5. The people at the store know who I am. My band won a BOTB that the store was sponsoring (we have also won in previous years). And have bought a fair bit of stuff through them.