1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Texas Customs?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jazz3625tonic, May 20, 2011.

1. jazz3625tonic

jazz3625tonic Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
  2. jazz3625tonic

jazz3625tonic Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    Bump for response. (I hope)

3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I just ran into the website for these control plates. Very interesting.

4. I'd be interested if anyone's tried the "new hum canceling technology. Twin coil turbo charged with outstanding vintage USA oil can capacitor".

I'm afraid my BS-ometer is twitching just a bit. But I'm willing to stand corrected.

5. Ooh, seems pretty nice. Might have to pick me up one of those if I can find more info.

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Yeah, sounds like BS. Oil can caps don't sound any different from ceramic caps.

As far as hum canceling, it says "250k precision pots with new hum canceling technology." So are the pots hum canceling? It's probably just the metal cans on the pots.

This is way overpriced in my opinion.

I'd go with this instead:

American Standard Jazz Bass - Mojotone.com

7. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I tried to contact Texas Customs but they told me to contact CF Music and they will answer my questions. So I lost interest pretty quickly.

8. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    MJC Ironworks
    I got one these for my Fender Amer. Std Jazz mod job I'm doing... should have the bass back in a month, so I will post a review, What I can say for sure is that Sonny from CF Music is one of the best people I have dealt with buying music gear. Says nothing foe the control plate itself, I know, but as a company they seem to be on the up and up. Also They will customize your plate in any way you want... I got 500k Pots and vintage Fender amp knobs. I am also routing the bass to have Hanson Chi-Sonics installed and I plan to have the neck PLEK-d, I have a really light touch and like slammed action so I think this will be a good move.

9. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    I dealt with Texas Customs a few years ago when I was playing lead and they wanted to do an endorsement deal. The two guitars I got from them were such poor quality over all, I wound up using parts from them here and there for parts guitars. Necks were unusable with frets sticking out enough to flat out slice you open, cheap pots and switches, etc. Looked like they took some cheap oriental knock offs and put their sticker on the headstock.

10. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    only twitching?..mine slammed into the red....:)