1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thanks! Its Mesa Boogie M6 for my Hofner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by V63, Apr 17, 2009.

1. V63

V63

Sep 13, 2008
    Alberta Canada
    I've been trying everything under the sun to find the perfect sound for me to match with my reissue 63 Hofner.

Help! Looking at amps for my Hofner

I didn't think I liked Mesa as I had tried a 400+, and their M Pulse-Walkabout lines and found the the sound way too grindy IMO. I had settled on Markbass even though it wasn't THE perfect sound I was looking for (I wanted it to be just a bit warmer) it was still the best I heard. TBer RickenBoogie told me "Just so you know, the M6 Carbine doesn't sound like the Walkabout, at all. Much cleaner, to my ears, and still able to dial in some tubeyness, if you want. Try and find one." So I ended up trying one and had my AH-HAH! moment at last. Very clean with just the right amount of warmth.

I just wanted to thank everyone who chimed in and took the time to help and offer suggestions in what was a seemingly endless and very frustrating search.

I'm looking at buying it as a head with a matching 4x10 Vintage PowerHouse Bass Cabinet in August when my wife says I'll be allowed. :meh: The M6 I tried sold (There is a Fathom at another store) and the cab I tried was one of the steel grilled PowerHouse models (I want the Vintage model with Black Twisted Jute Grille and Silver Piping PRETTY!) Will the Fathom's pre-amp tube still be O.K. or should I get them to replace it if its still around? Does anyone know how long it takes Mesa products to arrive? I live in Western Canada.

Thanks

2. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I have a vintage series mesa powerhouse cabinet, and its definitely worth the wait if you like that style. The standard Mesa timeline is 6-8 weeks for orders, but you can get lucky. They produce things in batches, so if you order right after or right before they've just finished a run of vintage cabs, it can be on the long or short end.

As for your question about preamp tubes, no, you shouldn't have to replace preamp tubes - pretty much ever. It will be fine. But they're like $15 for new Mesa ones and pretty easy to do so if you choose to, you can.

Also, while Mesa dealers won't negotiate on current catalog, they are able to work with you on discontinued lines. So if its a "Fathom," you should be able to knock some money off the sale vs. the cost of a new M6 Carbine.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    My Höfner 500/1V63 sounds great with my Markbass F1. :)

4. Voss451

Voss451

Mar 2, 2009
    If you have access to a Long & McQuade store, they can transfer amps from store to store. I know there's an M-9 here in town and just a few weeks ago, one of the sales guys told me that there are 3 in the system, so perhaps you could get one though them.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well, that made my day. Finally had something useful to say, and a great payoff as well. I totally dig my Walkabout, and have enough amps I shouldn't want more, but I would love to add a Carbine to the battery. Congrats, hope you don't have to wait too long.