That 1 Guy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Apr 12, 2005.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Anyone ever heard of "That 1 Guy?" I got a last minute email that this would be a do-not-miss show, and boy howdy was the email right.

This guy is both amazing and... out there... in a good way. He is a one-man band kind of act. Looking at his homemade gear, I could tell he had a background as a bassist. Several SABDDI boxes I spied in his gear reinforced that suspicion. His "instrument" consists of stainless steel tubes that attached by what appear to be plumbing joints. There's a main tube that rises straight up, then bends over with another articulating, descending tube. both straight sections of tube are strung with a single string that he plays very percussively, like an upright bass (also bows, plays the string with a drumstick, and a credit card as a pick). Parts of the tubing/plumbing not occupied by the string are covered with various MIDI triggers. At his feet are no less than four kick drum pedals attached to MIDI triggers. Oh, and he appears to loop vocals and musical phrases on the fly, as well.

How does it sound? Pretty damn amazing.

I talked to him briefly, and confirmed that he started out as a bassist. He said he started his solo act playing acoustic DB, drumming on various parts of the bass while playing. His current almost totally electronic setup is the result of a lot of experimentation and evolution.

This guy could inspire a lot of "but That 1 Guy only needed one string" jokes around TB if a few of us would give him a listen. I think he deserves some attention from bassists given that his instrument is played like a bass, and his technique is unorthodox but very obviously that of an inspired madman bassist.

Check him out:

[edit] Cool, also found this article from Bass Player
  2. I saw him in BP a few years ago and could have sworn it was one of their April Fools hoaxes, but it wasn't an April issue.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh the video for "one" is pretty cool. i dig it.