1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

That BUZZ!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Joe Bananas, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Newbie in here so maybe what I am dealing with is a completely normal thing but...
    I have a second hand Rickenbacker 4003 from 2011. Ex owner said it passed a revision before coming to my hands. Bought an Orange 25W amp, new. Bought a 10 USD cable.
    Now, cable connected to the standard output, bridge pickup in work, bass and treble tone slightly opened, bass and volume at its half power and annoying buzz which dissapears when I place any finger in any string or besides the standard/rick-o-sound connection. I just have to give volume to the max to the treble volume and that buzz dissapears.
    Crappy cable or worst thing going on? Help!

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Sorry, but what does "passed a revision" mean? "Inspection" or "review", perhaps? Anyway, Rickenbacker pickups are single coil, are they not? Which means, unless both pickups are on at the same volume, you don't get any hum cancelling effect. Could be all you're hearing. Or you might have a grounding problem.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  3. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    I would say you need shielding that is grounded or have a bad ground as bholder stated.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The fact the hum stops when you touch strings/metal/bridge indicates RF interference, shielding will remedy this issue. This may be caused by a cheap cable, so ensure you test a new one. The fact it stops when you crank both pots is a little strange, I am not too sure why that might happen. If there is a constant hum that goes away when the volumes are equal/cranked that would be 60hz hum and normal operation for single coils.

Growlmonkee likes this.